turks and caicos dining

Dec 15th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

turks and caicos dining

Can someone recommend some places for us to have dinner while in T&C for the holidays? Some inexpensive and good restaurants too please. We will be with our 15 and 18 year old.
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Restaurants that were recommended by our hotel were: Caicos Cafe(casual), Coyaba, Anacaona, Bella Luna, Mango Reef, Magnolia, and Baci's.

Please respond if you have any comments as they are going to book reservations for us while we are there. Any recommendations for Christmas Eve and Christmas night? We don't mind spending the $ on the holiday but prefer not to go overboard the rest of the trip. Leaving in a week, any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM

In the expensive category I would recommend Coyaba (Our Favorite) Magnolia Wine bar and restaurant in Turtle Cove ( great sesame pepper crusted tuna--really nice view) and Anacona--probably the most romantic with live music Wed Fri and Sat.

For moderate would recommend Bay Bistro at Sibonne and Aqua and Baci in Turtle Cove. Baci has better italian food than Bella Luna. Hemmingways has a BBque night tuesday with live music.

Inexpensive. Calico Jacks, Barefoot Cafe and 28 North in Ports of Call shopping plaza. Calico Jacks has m
live music on Friday. Sharkbite in Turtle Cove is basically a bar but has good food. The almond crusted grouper in coconut rum curry sauce is very good.. Wed Chicken and rib night $10 at Tiki Hut in turtle cove is fun.

Would skip Caicos Cafe, Mango Reef.

For lunch you might consider Caicos Cafe along with Salt Mill Cafe and Hemmingways.

Dec 15th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Howard. Someone else had mentioned the Tiki Hut. What are your thoughts on that?

Which places do you think teens would like best? What would be our best bet after flying all day for that evening of dinner?
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Where are you staying and will you have a car the first night.???
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

We are not renting a car. We are staying at Point Grace.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:47 AM
cdt

We second the vote for Tiki Hut on Wed. night. Caicos Cafe was more expensive than we expected (so we didn't eat there) but Barefoot Cafe is quite reasonable.

A local told me that the restaurant at the golf course was the best on the island, but we didn't get there.
Dec 16th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Think the teens would like a places with live music like Calico Jacks. Also at Ports of call is they get bored they can go window shopping. At sharkbite if they get bored they can play video games and pinball games or pool For the first night would probably go to Hemmingways at the Sands or Bay Bistro at Sibonne which you can walk to on the beach. to the left of Point Grace. Ports of Call is also walkable on the road but be advised there are no sidewalks and not many street lights. Bring a couple of flashlights. Would suggest rethinking renting a car. Cabs are expensive and as I recall they charge per person at night not a flat fee for the trip. I'm not a big fan of Graces Cottage at Point Grace bit it may have changed since we ate there. Fairways at Provo Golf Club is very nice. Falls into the expensive category. They have a lobster night where you can have your choice of lobster prepared six different ways.
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments. Right now I think she has us booked at Caicos Cafe for the first night. They had us for Christmas Eve and night at Graces' Cottage for a fixed meal/fee of $100 per person. I declined on that. Now I think she has us for those nights at Coyaba and Anacaona hopefully those aren't for a fixed price, especially since my daughter picks at her food.

We wanted to make reservations ahead for fear that we wouldn't get much with the crowd over the holidays. I'm going to write these suggestions down so I have them when we get there. Any other comments are greatly appreciated.

We are planning on doing a 1/2 day snorkel trip and Iguana Island. I can't remember who the charter is with though.
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:02 AM

You already have two comments on Caicos Cafe in this thread. I would go with any of my suggestions. Caicos Cafe is right next to Ports of Call shopping plaza. I would do Calico Jacks, Barefoot Cafe or Bay Bistro before Caicos Cafe with my first choice being Bay Bistro. If your daughter is a picky eater you might just go with an appetizer and dessert for her. Since you are staying at Point Grace and have a kitchen you can always get a to go box for leftovers.

The 1/2 day snorkel trip is probably with J&B tours as they do them a lot. it's a nice tour.
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:42 AM
cdt

We did a J&B trip, which was great, and also did two excellent excursions with Sail Provo. (We were lucky enough to be there during the glow worm period).
My wife gets seasick VERY easily but had no problems on Sail Provo's big cat.
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I hate to ask them to change the reservation but I may do it when I get there. For some reason they don't seem thrilled about booking ahead of time. This doesn't exactly give me a great feeling but hopefully it's just my imagination. I will see if I can book Bay Bistro. Any idea how far it is from our hotel?

Also, I do believe it is J&B tours that she spoke of. They said the glow worms may still be out. Does the 1/2 day snorkel include lunch?
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Just looked at the menu at Bay Bistro. Are all the entrees on this island $32.00?
Dec 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM

We just got back last week. Food is very expensive. We ate most of our meals at Hemingways, which I think is considered "moderate". Entrees ranged from about $18 to $42 (for lobster & filet combo). Most were about $25. The only other restaurants we ate at were Sharkbites & Calico Jack. Shakbites is very casual & considered inexpensive. Fettucini & chicken entree there was $20. Husband got a sandwich which was around $9. Calico Jacks was a little less expensive, they had pizzas for around $10 and they had an all you can eat pasta special for about $14. Our hotel had a lot of the menus for other restaurants and most of the "nice" restaurants seemed to be in the $25-$40 range for entrees. It will definitley add up with two teenagers, luckily our kids are very little & could split a kids meal. You may want to consider going to the IGA and eating a couple meals in. Also, I think one of the places delivers pizza to Grace Bay.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM

The Tiki Hut at Turtle Cove has excellent fish and conch. Great for lunch as well. Enjoy.
Dec 17th, 2004, 08:41 AM

To get to Bay Bistro walk out to the beach at Point Grace and go left. You will pass the Sands where Hemmingways is(You could consider eating there ) and a litle farther down is Bay Bistro at Sibonne. It is probably less than 1/2 mile. Food does tend to be mopre expensive on Provo because most is imported like on a lot of other islands. You can bring food with you which we have been known to do. If you eat at Coyaba the kids could probably eat at the Coral Gardens beach bar restaurant which has burgers etc and less expensive. Anacona is close to Ports of Call so they could walk over there and get a pizza or something at 28 North and then walk back to Anacona. That way you could have a romantic dinner for two.
Dec 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all your helpful suggestions. So when is your next trip back to T&C?
Dec 17th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Probably the end of April early May. Doing Barbuda and Anguilla 8 -21 Feb
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Well hopefully we will have warm enough water to snorkel.

Thanks again.