Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where in T&C for snorkeling? What about Meridian Club?

Oct 8th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be traveling with his 13 year old granddaughter next June to T&C and we've yet to decide on a place to stay. Snorkeling is our favorite activity besides reading on the beach. Besides Provo, what other destinations offer good snorkeling in T&C?

I'm especially interested in hearing people's thoughts on Meridian Club (if they offer the same special next year, granddaughter could stay for free, which puts it in our price range) and any place that offers snorkeling from shore. Thank you!
Oct 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Go to www.scubamom.com for a report on Provo and Meridian Club on Pine Cay
Oct 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Howard. I actually had just gone there before posting because I remembered she had a lovely report on both Meridian Club and Coral Gardens, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm about to post here to ask her where it is.
Oct 10th, 2004, 12:29 PM
owa

We just returned from Coral Gardens last night. I'm sure the 13 year old granddaughter would love the reef in front of CG. We swam with turtles every time we went out snorkeling which was twice a day. I'm going to try and post a trip report soon. Beautiful, beautiful beach. Good luck.

Oct 10th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Do you need water shoes to enter the water. I thought I read that the beach is a bit rocky upon entering.
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
owa

You do not need water shoes for the reef at Coral gardens. There are very few rocks as you enter the water. We just sat down in the sand, put our flippers on, and walked into the water backwards. We are not good swimmers so we wear flotation belts.

Oct 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM

What if you want to go in the water for just a swim. Is the water sandy at the bootom?
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:01 PM
owa

Yes, it is a sandy bottom. Not everyone that was in the water was snorkeling.

Oct 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM

To EJCrowe--I tried to look for the report on Provo and Meridian Cay on the Scuba Mom site and also couldn't find it. The whole web site format is new so they may not have included it. I tried to put myself in your place as we have two grandchildren 14 and 12 and where we would take them. Here is my take on Meridian Club from what I have heard from others and seeing it several times on a snorkel trip. Pine Cay is very small. Mostly private homes. No cars--you drive around in golf carts. One restuarant in Meridian Club clubhouse and a small grocery store. Nothing else on the island. Beaches look lovely and am sure there is off shore snorkeling. I suspect my grandkids would be totally bored. You can only read so many books and play so many games. I personally would opt for Provo. You have a variety of very good restaurants in all price ranges, large grocery stores, some very nice shopping plazas and a variety of water sport activities. Snorkeling from the beach is best at Coral gardens and Smiths reef. J&B tours has 1/2 day snorkel trips and you can do an all day sail/anorkel trip with Sail Provo. You might do a search on Meridian Club on www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos which has all kinds of good information on Provo
Oct 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, Howard. My husband and I were leaning towards Meridian Club for a few reasons: we could take daily snorkeling excursions out to the reef and/or other uninhabited cays, all included in the daily rate; they offered us a special rate where even as a 13 year old she could stay and eat free when sharing a room with us; and it overwhelmingly appeals to my husband and me. We fell in love with Guana Island last year on our honeymoon and Meridian Club, despite the difference in topography, seems to offer a similar feel. The daily rate at MC with all meals included for the three of us comes out at not much more than what I had mentally budgeted for our trip. Factor in the snorkeling trips each day that are also included in the rates, and MC comes out just a little ahead. And extras such as a sunset or glowworm cruise at MC are only $10-15 per person, including cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, which sounds like a remarkable value to me.

If we stayed on Provo, the only thing that would be different would be lack of access to Snuba and a selection of restaurants. And since hubby's granddaughter has her own portable DVD player, she can sit and watch her own personal movies if she still has the energy after a full day of swimming and snorkeling.

Most of the other places in Provo we looked at wanted a hefty extra nightly charge for granddaughter since she's over the magic cutoff age of 12. But I guess in the long run it will come down to how much we want to cater to the granddaughter for the trip, and how much we factor in our own desires for the vacation. I have no doubt that I will love wherever we choose, and whichever one we don't do now we'll end up doing eventually. The Caribbean, which I've only discovered relatively recently, is now the place I would like to spend all my leisure time exploring, one island at a time.
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Yes so many islands so little time. I guess that part of my thinking was that since it is June there will be more families on Provo and your granddaughter might find some kids her age to pal around with and make some new friends. I'm sure what ever you choose will be great. Meridian Club does sound like a good deal.
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it's not as if it's a hardship being forced to choose between the wonderful beach on Provo and the wonderful beach on Pine Cay.

I really do appreciate all of your input, Howard, even if we don't end up on Provo.

Dec 12th, 2004, 09:32 AM

If in fact you have found current info on the Meridian Club I would be very interested to read it. Last May we were in T&C and rode past the island where the resort was, and it was empty. Our boat captain informed us that The Meridian was out of business. If you know that it has re-opened please post a reply with info.
Dec 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Well, it may have looked empty, but it's definitely not out of business. I was in almost daily email contact with their reservations manager for a couple of weeks while trying to make the decision to stay there. (This was about two months ago) My guess is that you were misinformed by your boat captain, as unlikely as that would seem.
Dec 12th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Believe I just saw that Meridian Club had a package on Luxury Link.
Dec 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM

We will be at the Meridian Club next month and staying at the Sand Dollar Cottage. I will post a trip report upon our return. . .
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Thanks guys for the clarification. I guess I was misinformed by the captain, though he seemed to know what he was talking about. Honestly, the place looked as closed as a resort can look. Go figure. I'm guessing Meridian Club still does not have television???
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I stayed at the Meridian Club two years ago and LOVED it. The beach is spectaular! The most beautiful I have ever seen. Included in the cost of the resort is a daily snorkling trip to many snorkling spots around the island. They also have several "small" excursions to see iguanas, etc. All these are free.

However I am not sure a 13 year old would enjoy the Meridian Club. There are no phones or tv's. There are no cars, or radios. The only thing to do is to swim, snorkle, eat, and walk the beach. Everyone retires early. There is no a/c. There is a swimming pool.

I plan on going back this year (it is not out of business). But I don't know your granddaughter. Would she be happy with so few activities?
Dec 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, maybe I'm out of touch with 13-year olds today. But I can't imagine being bored for a 4-night stay at Meridian Club--daily snorkeling trips, swimming, walking on the beach and looking for shells, full days in the sun, sunset or glowworm cruise, then dinner would be a pretty full day, I would think. My husband has 8 grandkids and I have 3 nieces & nephews--there's not a one among them who wouldn't' think a vacation like that would be "totall awesome" in their vernacular. But on top of that, she has her own portable DVD player and could watch movies to her heart's content if after a full day of activities in the sun she still wanted something to do.

But it's all a moot point now because of an unfortunate setback. It is now out of our price range and we are considering other places. (Sigh. After I had finally made up my mind.)