Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What Restaurants Best on Provo TCI? (Any places I should avoid?)

Notices

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Nancy

Hello.
Can anyone who has been to Provo recently recommend their favorite restaurants?
I have made a list of about 40, and I'd like to narrow it down and hit the best ones.
We're going for 2 weeks in October and we like everything from local food (rotis, rice n peas, oxtail, curries and seafood) to gourmet (Anacaona, The Terrace).
Anything that made the experience stand out for you - for good or bad - service, great food, the view, etc.
Any suggestions would be helpful and much-appreciated! Thanks

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Bob

I went to T&C last December and the 3 restaurants I would recommend are:
- Coco Bistro
- Hemingways on the Beach
- Mango Reef

For casual restaurants:
- Caicos Cafe
- Cailico Jack's

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:58 PM
howard

We were in Provo in April and June of this year. Our favorite restaurant is Coyoba at Coral Gardens. The Chef, Paul Newman is a member of the Chainnes de Rotissuers an exclusive chefs society. The food is innovative and excellent but also expensive but worth it. Service is also excellent.

Anacona--At Grace Bay Club. Very romantic setting. Three large Palapas with tiki torches and candles. Combo plays on Wed, Fri and Sat night. Food quite good but portions tend to be small. Service spotty depending on the server.

Terrace--Have had some excellent meals there and one that was pretty bad. Got a server in training and the orders were all wrong and gave us the check for another table insisting it was ours. INstead I would try Fairways at Provo golf club. Go for lobster night when they prepare lobster 5 different ways. It used to be Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Call and check first.

Bay Bistro at Sibonne--Very good food and service. Extensive tapas menu. Live music on Mon. Go early and have a drink at the bar and watch Junior serve drinks on his head. Try the cedar planked grouper

Magnolia---New at Mirimar (old Erebus Inn) at Turtle Cove. Owned and run by Tracy and Gianni who used to own Coyoba. Excellent foor and service. Great place to watch the sunset and good views of Turtle Cove and Blue Hills at night. Really liked the pepper crusted tuna. The have a wine bar and wine tastings some nights.

Coco Bistro--Elegant dining under a canopy of palms. Try the grouper in puff pastry. Presentation almost too good to eat.

Hemmingways at The Sands. Very good food and service. like the soft grouper and mango tacos and shrimp and avacado salad for lunch.

Mangos. --at RWI. Nice restaurant. lots to eat but find the kitchen is somewhat inconsistent at times. Probably a mater of who is cooking that night which holds for all restaurants.

Barefoot Cafe--Great combo on Fri night. Very casual. I could make a meal out of the conch appetizer and if snapper is on the menu it is excellent. Npt very expensive.

Tiki Hut--For inexpensive try the chicken and Rib night for $10/person. Tiki is in a new location at the marina by the weighing scales.

For good local food try Smokeys on the Bay and Bugaloos in Blue Hills. Would go for lunch or an early dinner. Great Conch.

Cuba Bella--New. Not really Cuban but a Provo interpretation of Cuban. Excellent conch salad. Not expensive.

Hope this helps--If you have any questions feel fre to E-mail me. So many restaurants so little time !!!!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Nancy

Bob and Howard - Thank you both so much for the info!
I am now well-equipped to make my foray into Provo's dining scene

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Nancy

Topping for Angela...

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:42 AM
denette

Nancy,
Howard as always is very precise and right on the money. Restaurants he suggested are the very ones we ate at in April/May and they are excellent and he points out the positive. Ask to sit on the uncovered outdoor terrace when at Hemingways, the stars, the beach, the sound of the waves, cant be beat, also they have a fantastic shrimp/penne pasta dish that is wonderful. Thursday night at Hemingways is a BBQ-Buffet night, would not waste the time. We also went to Bugaloos in Blue Hills and werer planning to eat there, but the day we went they were having a power problem and the kitchen area had alot to be desired. We so wanted to eat at a more local/quaint place, but we passed that up. We have found some great places to eat on the islands we have visited by asking the local people where they eat out.Enjoy the island, some of the most friendly people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Nancy

Thanks so much for the additional info Denette! We are counting the days!
Can either you or Howard recommend day trips or tour companies?
We are planning to dive with Caicos Adventures, but would like to go to some of the other islands. We heard you can go to Salt Cay to swim with the stingrays, go to Grand Turk and horseback ride, etc.
Did you do the "glow worm" thingy or any other tours you can recommend?
Thanks!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Howard

Have done the 1/2 day tour with J& B Tours and it was fun. You go to Little Water Cay to see the iguanas, stop on a beach to shell and a snorkeling stop. If you do it see if you can go with Sean. Think it is about $50. There are also several sail snorkel day trips--Sail Provo and Tao. When you get to the airport on the left in the baggage claim area there are all sorts of brochures on a table on day trips. I think I would go to Middle Caicos rather than Grand Turk or Salt Cay. It is supposed to be beautiful. On my list of things to do. A tour of the Conch Farm is interesting. Only place in the world they raise conch in captivity. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about conch. Pick up a copy of the video--Turks and Caicos-Beautiful by Nature for a nice souvenir. You can probably find it at Ports of Call. As I recall you also post about Anguilla. We're going there for the 13th time 13-22 Nov. Stay at Frangipani. Can't wait. When you get back please E-mail me and let me know how you liked Provo