Provo Restaurants

Oct 31st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Carm

Provo Restaurants

Ok..I am going in December..staying at the Sands for 7 nights. Based on these posts and reviews it appears as though these are the best restaurants to go to in terms of food, service, value and atmosphere. If anyone has any opinions about them, please your comments are appreciated. Unfortunately, only staying 7 nights, will have to give up a few! hmmmm? Any suggestions?

Coyoba
Anacoana
Grace's Cottage
The Terrace
Mango Reef
Hemmingways
Sharkbite
Banana Boat
Bay Bistro

Restaurants to avoid include, Gecko Grill, Caicos Cafe and Tiki Hut? Does this hold water?

Thanks

Oct 31st, 2002, 11:17 AM
denette

Carm,
Only left out two that were on our list and they are the Coco Bistro and the Fairways Restaurant at the Provo Golf Club. We ate at Hemingways twice, Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro, and the Fairways while we were down there for 8 days in later April/early May. We ate in a couple of nights, but most of your choices were the ones I had picked, but had to pick and choose since we wanted to just stay in a couple of nights. At the Coco Bistro they have a grouper in a puff pastry that is wonderful and a wonderful penne pasta dish. It sits on the ground of an old landscape nursery and the palms and greenery around each and every table is so wonderful. Very romantic. At the Fairways, Thursday night is lobster night, and we have had some wonderful lobster in our lifetime and our meal there rivals anything we have had anywhere. Yes, the ambiance of a green at a golf club is not my idea of a romantic/beautiful setting but the food was Great, enourmous proportions, homemade Hot bread, Huge spinach salad(we shared one), and several lobster dishes to choose from. We also had a dessert (chocolate that was sinful to eat, I'm sorry can't remember the name, but it was fabulous)
When you do go to Hemingways call the morning of your day to go and ask to sit out on the "uncovered" terrace, it is right out on the beach, the stars, the light off of the beach, the sound of the surf, you don't want to get up and vacate the table when you are through.
Have a great time and safe travel. It is truly a peacful island, friendly people and gorgeous beaches/water.

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:33 PM
x

Second vote here for Coco Bistro. Hit Hemingways for lunch.

Oct 31st, 2002, 02:40 PM
Howard

Depends on how much you want to spend. The following which I would recommend will cost you $100-$150/couple depending on how much you drink. Coyaba, Anacona, Fairways at Provo golf Club (same owners as the Terrace), Bay Bistro at Sibonne, Coco Bistro (second the grouper entree), Magnolia wine bar and restaurant at Mirimar. New and excellent. Great view and place to watch the sunset. Call to see when they are having wine tastings etc. If you like tuna try the pepper crusted tuna.
For less expensive good food Barefoot Cafe and Calico Jacks in Ports of Call. Barefoot has a great combo on Friday. Cuba Bella is also good. Try the soft grouper taco with mango salsa or the shrimp and avacado salad at Hemmingways for lunch

Mango Reef--lots of food sometimes inconsistent. Graces Cottage--actually outside the gates to Point Grace. Expensive but not worth the price.
So Many restaurants so little time !!!!

Nov 1st, 2002, 06:07 AM
Nancy

Hi Howard! Your recommendations were a great help to us.
Hello Carm, I just got back from 2 weeks in Provo, and I'll give you my "dining impressions."

3 caveats - prices at almost all the restaurants are VERY high, and because tourism on a larger scale is relatively new to Provo, the service can be very slow and not the level you may be used to for the price. But what the servers lack in skill, they make up for in their friendliness.
(Cover yourself in Deep Woods Off for any outside dining.)

Anacaona - Very elegant, great service, small portions (nouvelle-size), very good food, scrumptious desserts

The Terrace - Now called Aqua. Service was extremely slow, but food and the view/atmosphere were excellent.

Hemingways - Consistently very good food, and the best service staff on Provo. Lunch and dinner the best. (Breakfast was so so, but the view makes up for that

Sharkbite - Had two VERY good lunches there.

Tiki Hut - Yuck. Rice and Peas tasted like Uncle Ben's. Nothing special...

Caicos Cafe - It was pretty good, but with the choices you have and your time frame, I wouldn't suggest it.

Coco Bistro - One of our favorites! I had a steak there that knocked my socks off. So romantic in the gorgeous palm grove.

Bay Bistro - Great food in a very nice ambience. (Within strolling distance from the Sands).

Other good choices are Cuba Bella and Bella Luna, and for local food - Where It's At, Mackie's Cafe, and Smokeys and Bugaloos - both in Blue Hills.

Nov 8th, 2002, 05:24 PM
ScubaMom

We LOVED Coyoba - wonderful cuisine. For fun, have lunch at Smoky's on the Bay... great island food... we had a shredded lobster dish with rice and peas (beans) that was delicious.

Nov 9th, 2002, 07:40 PM
xxx

Can I get a approximate cost of the lunch Scubamom described from Smokey's..it sounds yummy.

Nov 14th, 2002, 04:02 AM
ScubaMom

Lunch at Smokey's came to $40(including two round of beers. You can read my trip review at www.scubamom.com/turks-caicos/

Dec 17th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Em

I just came back from T&C and wanted to comment on the Anacaona restaurant. It is very romantic and the service is great, but the food is not worth the prices. I'm talking $36 USD for a lobster tail that wasn't that great, neither my husband or I really enjoyed our starters or main courses. Be sure to go there for drinks though (delicious pina coladas), it is a beautiful place and they have a great band that plays there a few nights a week.

Dec 18th, 2002, 09:28 PM
sherry

Based on our trip this past June: Coco Bistro atmosphere was magical. Anacoana - food and atmosphere amazing. Bay Bistro for view, atmosphere, food, and pina coladas. Shark Bite for fun atmosphere, good food, and good value.

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:27 AM
x

How close are all of these restaurants to The Sands? Thinking about going on our honeymoon there and was curious.

Thanks

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:45 AM
michellek

We stayed at the Sands - Hemingways was fine but I didn't think it was fabulous. We were dying to go to Bay Bistro but it was closed in September (offseason). Coyaba was fabulous. SO romantic. We just loved it. Mango Reef was great. And we actually liked Tiki Hut - we went on Jerk night - jerk chicken was really good, inexpensive and a cute atmosphere.

You can get a "cab" to the various restaurants for about $10 I think - pretty sure it was $5 a person to go to all the restaurants in the vicinity.

Search this Thread