travel in late Jan/early Feb

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I am trying to decide on an island to visit in very late January/early Feb. I am looking at Turks/Caicos, but am wondering if I need to go further South for weather/water temps warm enough to enjoy at that time of year. Has anyone been there during that timeframe?

thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM

Lots of people have been to the T&C's (I assume you mean Providenciales) in late January/early February and found the weather to be quite nice. Here's some stats to give you an idea of what to expect weather wise at that time of year:

Average Daytime Temperature - 77 F.
Average Daily High - 80 F.
Average Daily Low - 73 F.
Average Precipitation - 1.4 inches.

Now, the further south you go, the warmer it gets BUT there is not that much of a difference. For instance the average temperatures on Aruba (very far south) at that time of year are:

Average Daytime Temperature - 81 F.
Average Daily High - 85 F.
Average Daily Low - 76 F.

Of course, there's always a chance it could be a little warmer or a little colder the week or so you are on island - that's the trouble with averages, they are just that, averages.

FYI - you can research average weather statistics for any given island at the following websites:

www.weatherbase.com
www.wunderground.com

Regardless of what the stats tell you it will be up to Mother Nature to determine what the weather will be like when you visit.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you so very muchz!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM

We always go farther south (Aruba) for "guaranteed warm" in Jan/Feb/March. Got tired of freezing in South East Florida(Palm Beach) in Dec/Jan/Feb/March...even though statistically there have been some nice, warm days during that time frame.
For me, T & C is not far enough south for that time of year.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I have been told it's plenty warm and I have been told by a few friends that some days were just too cool to feel comfortable on the beach. When you have one trip per year you want to make the right decision! Check out wunderground.com and look up the trip planner. You can find historical data including actual high temps and low temps for any dates going back almost 10 years. I have done this before my trips and based on what I saw I have decided to travel further south in Jan/Feb and even March. I plan to go to T&C one day as the beaches look stunning, but I will travel there in April or May when I know it will be consistently warm every day. That's my personal preference but others will tell you T&C is plenty warm in January.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM

i think the bigger problem is ocean temp. it'll be 77-80 in jan, more like 84 by sept. while it seems a small difference i can't stay in the water anywhere near as long at 79 as i can at 82. while provo is my favorite destination i'd head further south in jan.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Virgina is correct. You will be lucky if it is 78 degrees in the water. That is like the Pacific ocean temps. Not good for swimming, snorkeling,or sailing unless you are skilled. 77-78 is quite cold after 5 minutes.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM

We were wondering the same things about the weather and water when we were planning our vacation last January. January is usually pretty nice in Orlando, but it can get chilly sometime, and the Florida coast is usually too cold for us to swim.

Turks weather was great. The ocean took a minute or two, but we all adjusted. Our daughter didn't notice.

You can see year-long highs and lows here, as well as rainfall. I haven't seen water temperature averages, but that varies a lot with different locations.

http://www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc/weather.html