Reload this Page >

Transportation in St. Thomas/St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:38 AM
maggie

I am flying in to St. Thomas late on Thanksgiving (Thursday) and staying at the Emerald Resort. We will leave on Saturday for 6 nights at the Dream Catcher Villa. Any suggestions on how to deal with transportation and keep the cost to a minimum? Should I just get a car at the airport that we can take on the ferry to St. John or taxi/bus for the first 2 days and get a car in St. John? But then I would need to take a taxi back to the airport from the St. John dock. Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:40 AM
maggie

Whoops, I kind of screwed up that last post. Dream Catcher Villa is in St. John. And I would need to take a taxi from the St. Thomas dock back to the airport.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Lisa

Hi Maggie, <BR><BR>It really depends on what you want to do on St. Thomas. Are you going to want to explore the island, or are you going to relax at your resort? As for St. John, If you are staying at a villa, you really should rent a car or jeep. I have been to St. John several times and renting a vehicle is a must. You can explore the beaches and the National Park much easier on your own schedule. Let me know if you have specific questions, I'm happy to help.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
travelpro

you can rent the vehicle at one of the agencies that allow the car on the car barge, load it with your luggage and supplies and off you go so you have it use on St. Thomas too. You will need it if you are staying at Emerald Beach. Otherwise pick up on St. John when you arrive. Car barge is $27 but check schedule especially for departure times and returning car. Most agenies in St. THomas will drop off at airport for departure after returning car.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:51 PM
maggie

I still need to know which St. Thomas companies will let me take their car on the barge. They all seem to say no.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:17 PM
islander

Dependable, Discount and Budget

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Jean

Maggie,<BR>If you'll just look at the websites for the car rental companies suggested (Budget, Discount and Dependable) you will see that that they all state that you may take the vehicles on the car ferry to St John. You can also call them and be told the same thing. I don't know what you mean when you say, 'They all seem to say no.' Have you asked the question of them? <BR>Here is the url for the Getting Around area of the USVI Online website. Some links are there to get you started. But you will need to do some research and make some phone calls yourself. This is part of the reason things get so nasty on this forum, people who want to help get frustrated by others who refuse to try to find their own answers to simple questions. If you managed to find the forum, you can find the answer to this question. This forum and others should be for the sharing of information that is not so readily available.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Jean

Sorry,<BR>Here is the URL that I mentioned.<BR>http://www.usvi-on-line.com/gettingaround.shtml

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
maggie

Thanks for all the help. I did make a reservation with Dependable. Budget Car Rental told me that I couldn't take the car on the barge.