maggie

Any 4x4 car rentals that let you take cars on the ferry to St. John

Any help would be appreciated

Sep 18th, 2002, 02:30 PM
ttt

TTT

Sep 18th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Sue

On the USVI-On-Line website in the ferry area it says that of 12/31/01 you were able to do this. Is that not true?

Sep 18th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Bill L.

This company does. Give them a try.
http://www.dependablecar.com/
Bill

Sep 18th, 2002, 06:42 PM
maggie

I am checked with Conrads, St Johns, L&L, Budget, and other that won't allow the cars on the barge. One told me it was a law that cars couldn't go from St. John to St. Thomas. I thought to myself then what is the car barge for. I emailed Dependable and received a reply from Raintree. Are they affiliated. They said no also. However, I noticed on the USVI website that Dependable advertises getting a car at the airport and getting on the barge (luggage and all) to St. John. I have emailed them again about the discrepancy. I am getting very frustrated.

Sep 18th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Helper

Dependable has nothing to do with Raintree. Raintree has to do with St. John Car Rental.
Dependable allows their cars, mainly the Jeeps, to go to St. John. As well as does Budget and Discount. Really makes no sense asking those in St. John about it. They have decided amongst themselves, not to allow their cars to St. Thomas. There is no law against it. It is their way of fighting the cars from St. Thomas coming to St. John. It does hurt them though, as some people would like to be able to go back and forth, so they rent from St. Thomas instead!

Sep 18th, 2002, 08:15 PM
islander

Budget, Dependable and Discount are the three agencies that permit a St. Thomas rental on the car barge. No St. John agencies allow the vehicle on the barge. It is a question of insurance coverage.

Sep 19th, 2002, 09:47 AM
maggie

Thanks for all your help. I did book a jeep through Dependable. I wanted to correct my earlier post. Evidently St. John car rental and Raintree are affiliated (not Dependable and Raintree). When I spoke with Dependable today they were extremely polite and helpful. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!!!!