Stay put in St. Thomas or go to St. John

Jun 6th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Stay put in St. Thomas or go to St. John

We're arriving in St. Thomas after almost 6 hrs of flying. Will be in teh USVI for 5 days. Is it smarter to stay put on STT or stay on St. John. Wondering if it would be too much effort and time to get there. Will get a rental car and traveling with a child. Regardless of where we stay, we'll be checking out both. Although from what I've read St. John seems more like what we're looking for, especially when traveling with a baby.
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Hello, I thought you had already decided on St John. You will be much happier there. Also, Island View guest house, is OK the area is not so good. I would not stay there...you would be much better off on St John. I think lots of people answered your prior questions about getting to St John, and it is very easy (even with an infant)I would be more concerned about which island - and I think that answer is easy too - St John...
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:27 AM
cdt

It's pretty easy to get from STT to STJ - the passenger ferries are frequent and inexpensive - but STJ is a much more expensive place to stay.

There are many beachfront accommodations on STT but very few on STJ, where many people rent villas and then drive to the beach.

Car rentals are more expensive on STJ (mostly 4WD). Some STT rental firms allow their vehicles to go to STJ on the car ferry, but breakdowns or accidents while on STJ can cause problems.

The passenger ferries run until late evening but the car ferries stop at around 6 pm.

I would say that if you can find and afford the type of accommodations you want on STJ, go for it.

Jun 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. St. John definitely sounds like the better choice. Is it better to rent a car after arriving at the airport or take the ferry to St. John and rent there.

Jun 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM
cdt

see my comments above -
cheaper to rent on STT -
safer to rent on STJ.
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Please see replies to your previous posting. If you want to get settled in your car right away at the airport and take the car ferry over -- the drawback is if you don't know where you're going, it can be a very tiring hassle. After a long flight and with a baby in tow, I suggest you take the 5-10 minute taxi to the downtown Charlotte Amalie ferry and rent a car in St. John. Most of the car rental places are near the ferry in St. John and most companies will even meet you at the ferry with your car. Either way, make sure you make your reservations ahead of time.