COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Renting a jeep in St. Thomas

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Dawn

Renting a jeep in St. Thomas

We're planning on going to St. Thomas for our honeymoon and are looking into renting a jeep. Any recommendations on companies that are reliable and inexpensive? Also, is it better to make reservations beforehand or in St. Thomas? We will be arriving from a ferry via St. John's and are hoping to pick up the car near that area.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
clt

Your post is confusing: are you staying on St. John or St. Thomas?

On St. Thomas you don't need a 4WD. On St. John you can get to 90% of the places with a regular car, but 4WD helps with the other 10%. Also some rental villas on St. John have awful driveways.

Vehicles are usually available except during peak holiday periods. I talked to some people who arrived during Christmas Week without car reservations and couldn't find anything.

Calling ahead allows you to shop around for rates, but during slower periods (e.g., May thru mid-Dec.) you may be able to negotiate a better rate on the spot.

Many VI car rental firms do not allow their vehicles on the car ferry.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
be careful

I highly recommend getting the jeep with armored doors, and a 50 caliber machine gun mounted on the back. Crime in St Thomas?...No problem!!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Ronnie

There is a car rental agency as you get off the ferry in St. Thomas, actually across tha street.Tri Island. A car will be fine, Jeep it if you feel like you need to!
Ronnie

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:55 PM
e

Your post seems to make no sense, it says you are arriving on ST Thomas on a ferry FROM St. John. Not impossible, BUT highly unlikely(how are you getting TO St. John ?). Please clarify your itinarary.

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:38 AM
Dawn

We are staying first in St. John and then taking the ferry back to Red Hook in St. Thomas. At this ferry dock is where I am looking to rent a jeep.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:51 PM
jim

Hi. We stayed near Red Hook in early April. We got a Jeep from Hertz at the STT airport when we arrived. I don't recall a rental place in Red Hook, at least not one of the chains. We got a Jeep only because they were out of every other rental car! (Easter week)

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:56 PM
e

First, how long is this trip? The reason I ask is if it is not over 8-10 nts, I would personally forget about ST T. Not that STT is bad, but IF its between the two, more days on STJ wins every time. That being said, IF you are flying into STT and ferrying over to STJ, you can rent a jeep from Budget at the STT airport, take it on the ferry to STJ and use it over there and then RETURN to STT with it and use it on STT for the remainder of your trip.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Dawn

Thanks for the info! We're staying about 2 weeks total, and we were thinking that we'd only need a car in STT. But I'll have to look into renting the jeep in STT and taking it into STJ. It sounds like a good idea.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
e

Dawn, you DEFINATELY want a jeep on STJ. It is one of the best islands to explore by car(many beautiful vistas and beaches). You won't regret it. Good Luck.