COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Renting a jeep in St. Thomas

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
  #1  
Dawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Renting a jeep in St. Thomas

We're planning on going to St. Thomas for our honeymoon and are looking into renting a jeep. Any recommendations on companies that are reliable and inexpensive? Also, is it better to make reservations beforehand or in St. Thomas? We will be arriving from a ferry via St. John's and are hoping to pick up the car near that area.
 
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
  #2  
clt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Your post is confusing: are you staying on St. John or St. Thomas?

On St. Thomas you don't need a 4WD. On St. John you can get to 90% of the places with a regular car, but 4WD helps with the other 10%. Also some rental villas on St. John have awful driveways.

Vehicles are usually available except during peak holiday periods. I talked to some people who arrived during Christmas Week without car reservations and couldn't find anything.

Calling ahead allows you to shop around for rates, but during slower periods (e.g., May thru mid-Dec.) you may be able to negotiate a better rate on the spot.

Many VI car rental firms do not allow their vehicles on the car ferry.


 
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
  #3  
be careful
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I highly recommend getting the jeep with armored doors, and a 50 caliber machine gun mounted on the back. Crime in St Thomas?...No problem!!
 
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:22 PM
  #4  
Ronnie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
There is a car rental agency as you get off the ferry in St. Thomas, actually across tha street.Tri Island. A car will be fine, Jeep it if you feel like you need to!
Ronnie
 
Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:55 PM
  #5  
e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Your post seems to make no sense, it says you are arriving on ST Thomas on a ferry FROM St. John. Not impossible, BUT highly unlikely(how are you getting TO St. John ?). Please clarify your itinarary.
 
Old May 1st, 2002, 10:38 AM
  #6  
Dawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
We are staying first in St. John and then taking the ferry back to Red Hook in St. Thomas. At this ferry dock is where I am looking to rent a jeep.
 
Old May 1st, 2002, 05:51 PM
  #7  
jim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hi. We stayed near Red Hook in early April. We got a Jeep from Hertz at the STT airport when we arrived. I don't recall a rental place in Red Hook, at least not one of the chains. We got a Jeep only because they were out of every other rental car! (Easter week)
 
Old May 1st, 2002, 05:56 PM
  #8  
e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
First, how long is this trip? The reason I ask is if it is not over 8-10 nts, I would personally forget about ST T. Not that STT is bad, but IF its between the two, more days on STJ wins every time. That being said, IF you are flying into STT and ferrying over to STJ, you can rent a jeep from Budget at the STT airport, take it on the ferry to STJ and use it over there and then RETURN to STT with it and use it on STT for the remainder of your trip.
 
Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
  #9  
Dawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the info! We're staying about 2 weeks total, and we were thinking that we'd only need a car in STT. But I'll have to look into renting the jeep in STT and taking it into STJ. It sounds like a good idea.
 
Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
  #10  
e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Dawn, you DEFINATELY want a jeep on STJ. It is one of the best islands to explore by car(many beautiful vistas and beaches). You won't regret it. Good Luck.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
soboyle
Caribbean Islands
5
Jan 5th, 2011 10:02 AM
bry1105
Caribbean Islands
4
Jun 18th, 2009 03:13 PM
seabrooktoots
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
11
Oct 28th, 2008 03:35 PM
gwenivere
Caribbean Islands
8
Feb 24th, 2007 08:31 PM
gusekevi
Caribbean Islands
7
May 5th, 2003 09:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO