Search

Tom Cayman is ok!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Cayman is ok!

Just saw a post on stormcarib.com from Tom that he is back on line. Check it out!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:36 AM

Yay! Glad to hear he is ok. Thanks for the info, Sue.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM

Go to www.blueoceanart.com/ivan/ for very recent photos of Cayman post Ivan -very moving!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

There are more than 2000 pictures of Grand Cayman on www.davidolson.com, including pictures of our condominium building, North Pointe.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 01:54 PM

Very glad to hear that. Tom has been on my mind.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Thx for your thoughts... I am indeed back online... took a while (a week in fact).. and just now getting to forums.

It has been harrowing, but we have come through and will be stronger for the experience.

First thought : Life, and the importance of it

Second thought : Family... I am a very capable guy in time of crisis, but with three young children to protect, I could not focus on anything else until I evacuated them.

Third thought : Home. My home was badly trashed... but had lots of important possessions in it to secure... which took five horrible days to do.

Life, family, home... without these basics one has nothing.... but once those are at least stable... you can move on.

Our resort fared well and will be back, as beautiful as ever, very soon.

My job now is to tell the world that Cayman will be back... recovery is incredibly rapid (as evidenced by my presence online on a forum this early!).

Cayman will be back in business January 1, 2005... New Year, new beginning.

If there is one thing you can do for us, it is to come and visit Cayman in early 2005.... Cayman has always been renowned for our warmth and hospitality.... and since the storm that has been magnified 100 fold.

The most notable thing to me since the storm has been how everyone has pulled together.. random acts of kindness are too numerous to mention.... a few days after the storm, after a couple such uplifting experiences, I got into my car (I will never, ever be without a Toyota Landcruiser!), turned on the radio, and they played a rendition of our national song.... and I wept with the welling up of pride in our people.

Come and see us...
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 06:48 PM
caribtraveler

I'm glad you're ok Tom.

Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:12 AM

Tom Cayman
Wonderful to know you are o.k.! Your many online friends have been concerned. I'm sure many frequent visitors have felt as I have-heartbroken by the devastation and terribly worried about the Caymanians. I know that you all have so much work to do right now, so I don't post much, but have been scouring websites for news.
Your new posts have warmed my heart and made me smile with joy to see your positive attitude. Looking forward to a future even better Cayman! One more thing--saw a sunset picture after the hurricane and knew that the real beauty of Cayman could never be destroyed.
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Glad you are back on line Tom, stronger than ever!
Old Sep 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Tom, We were at The Reef in June, and I have been scouring the net trying to find pictures of the resort. I'm glad things are improving. We will definitely be back as soon as we can -- our family had a wonderful first trip to The Reef and to Grand Cayman, and we consider the island one of "our" places. I'm glad you and your family are all right.
Sherry
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Just loaded up a great picture of Castro (our cockatoo) on www.thereef.com.ky and will load up some pictures from the days after the storm later today.

Will go to the resort later this week to take some pictures to show how far we have come with the clean up effort.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Is that you Tom in the pic below the bird?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of "Glad to have you back, Tom."