There are too many options!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new husband and I are planning a honeymoon for mid-March 2008. I've cruised the caribbean and realize that's exactly where I want to go. However, after researching EVERYWHERE, I just can't decide. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. All Inclusive
2. Secluded and Small bungalows (not the huge resort hotel)
3. On the beach
4. Relatively in-expensive ($4000) for the week

I've seen so many possibilities, I just don't know where to start. Any advice you can give is appreciated!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM

While it's not precisely all-inclusive, Fernandez Bay on Cat Island would be a wonderful choice - and the MAP plans, etc. make it more or less AI.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Does your figure of $4000 for the week include airfare, and if so, from where?

There will be lots of great choices for you if you can be a little flexible with your requirements, but as a rule of thumb, you won't find many small AI's on the beach with bungalow style rooms that are relatively inexpensive--that's basically a contradiction in terms. Beach front rooms that are individual bungalow style at boutique AI resorts are expensive, period. Expect to pay $600+ per night at these places in March, which is high season. With airfare, at a really nice AI with the type of rooms you're talking about, a more realistic budget would be $6000. Large AI resorts of course will be less expensive, but you won't find bungalow style rooms at most of those places.

However, if you can be happy with a meal plan and a resort that is beach front without your room being beachfront, I'd recommend taking a look at Ti Kaye Village on St. Lucia (www.tikaye.com).

The previous suggestion of Fernandez Bay on Cat Island is also a good choice.

Other places that offer the type of accommodation you're looking for, either in single style or duplex style, include the following. Some are AI, some offer meal plans:

La Luna on Grenada
Spice Island on Grenada
Jalousie Plantation on St. Lucia
Windjammer Landing on St. Lucia
Galley Bay on Antigua
Guana Island, a private island in the British Virgins
Peter Island, ditto
Biras Creek, Virgin Gorda, British Virgins
Nisbet Plantation on Nevis
Golden Lemon on St. Kitts
Guavaberry Spring Bay, Virgin Gorda, BVI (these are actually self-catering, not a resort, but they do fulfill the other requirements)

Hmmm, I've got to go eat dinner now. But I'll think on it and post back with other recs. But that should give you an idea of what to expect as well as a jumping off point for researching on your own.

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM

How about Cocobay Resort in Antigua? It really depends where you are coming from and if that $4k includes airfare.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Yes, Cocobay is another good suggestion!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Goldeneye or The Caves or Moondance Villas on Jamaica.

Rockhouse Hotel in Jamaica offers much what you're looking for *except* being AI. But it's a really good price and it's directly on the water (not the beach, though).
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Could you delay the honeymoon until late April? - this is when the prices drop (significantly) and you get more bang for your buck.

Just a thought
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:40 AM

OMG, enough with castthelines.com!

TTT for Doug Stallings, who will hopefully tell the rule breaking poster about Fodors' no advertising policy, especially since there is a reference to castthelines on every thread!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 05:37 AM

Ti Kaye or East Winds would suit you. East Winds is right on a small beach and the AI food there is wonderful. They also serve real champagne every night before dinner. Small and fairly secluded with a lovely pool and swim up bar. "Genteel" type of clientele.

Windjammer up the road is a much bigger resort. We own timeshare there and the villa and pool are lovely. However, it can get a bit noisy down at the beach in the afternoon when they do bingo etc so maybe not for you.