Adults only/luxury high end all inclusive resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love recommendations for a beautiful adults only resort in the Caribbean for 2 women in their early thirties during the Xmas holidays.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 06:12 AM

THough it has been awhile the Grand Lido in Negril, jamaica met that definition but the area outside the resort was not very nice. If by all inclusive you simply mean including all meals that opens up many options and then it comes down to small upscale like Kamalale Caye on Andros in the Bahamas, Jumby Bay in Antigua which is somewhat larger or Parrot Caye in the T&C Islands though we were less impressed with the latter than the first two.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM

http://royalhideaway.com/index3.asp
sandals & couples have numerous adult ai
galley bay or jumby bay on antigua
palm island in st. vincent & the grenadines
http://royalhideaway.com/index3.asp
on st. lucia http://www.thebodyholiday.com/
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I'm not a great fan of All Inclusives but as StanKase pointed out many upscale resorts do offer meal plans so that opens up many possibilities. The concern, however, is traveling during the Christmas Holidays. If you mean "THIS" Christmas you may find your options limited as many resorts, especially the high end ones, tend to be booked up a year in advance. Of course it doesn't help to check as there's always a chance a couple of resorts will have vacancies. keep in mind too that during Christmas many resorts have minimum stay requirements (1 week, 10 day and sometimes 2 weeks) and because it's High season you WILL encounter the highest room rates of the year.

Upscale properties that cater to adults (but will not necessarily be child free) you might consider include:

Casa De Compo, Dominican Republic
Cusinart, Malliouhane or Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas
Caneel Bay, St. John
Amanyara, Providenciales (Turks & Caicos)
Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda
Peter island Resort, Peter Island, BVI's
Sandy Lane, Barbados
Jumby Bay, Carlisle Bay or Curtain Bluff, Antigua
Four Seasons, Nevis (due to reopen December 15)
Anse Chastenet, St. Lucia
Petit St. Vincent Resort, Petit St. Vincent (Grenadines)
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Hermitage bay, Antigua
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand in the Riviera Maya. Also in that area the Royal Playa del Carmen. Both are adults only buxury AI resorts with enough acitivities to keep you busy or enjoy pure relaxation.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM

We are going to Galley Bay in Antigua in a couple of weeks. We found a too-good-to-pass up deal and everything kind of fell into place. You probably need to book something soon but I can give you my feedback when we return if it will help.

We don't generally go to all-inclusives but interestingly enough we went to both of schmerl's recommendations above just this past April. The Paraiso Grand was a little more luxurious than the Royal but we enjoyed both. The Royal was definitely livelier.

Perhaps the Jamaica Inn would be a good fit for you. We've never stayed there so I can't give a personal recommendation but I know a few people who have been there and loved it. I think it's adults only and I believe you have to purchase the meal or all-inclusive plan separately but it probably falls into your luxury category. It has a very high repeat guest rate, however, so it might already be booked for Christmas.

A few words about some of RoamsAround's recommendations. We have stayed at a few of those properties and some of them are decidedly family-friendly and will be even more so during a holiday period. We generally travel either during April or May in non-holiday times or in November before Thanksgiving so clearly we travel when kids are in school. I have been amazed at the number of school-age children we have encountered.

CuisinArt, Anguilla - lots of kids
Cap Juluca, Anguilla - not very many children at all
Four Seasons, Nevis - kid city (although they have an adults only pool, or at least they did when we were there)
Caneel Bay, St. John - great beaches here but rather modest accommodations, especially given the price. We went the week before Thanksgiving and into Thanksgiving week and the weekend before Thanksgiving the families started arriving in droves.

I think Jamaica and Dominican Republic have the most all-inclusives so perhaps you should search there, although Antigua does seem to have a few high-end all-inclusives.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM

You cannot include Sandals in the same league with Jumby Bay Pt.St.Vincent or and I meantioned. The Sandels upscale resort on St. Lucia cost 1/2 of the 2 previously mentioned and for good reason. The Grand Lido maybe is the only traditional AI that one could call luxury but them I would put it at vthe bottom of the category.
I and some of those who have commented above have been to many you might consider but I think you need to be more specific. Is your interest a resort one with fine dining or is the focus on the most beautiful long beaches or great water sports or luxury rooms and is $1000/day for 2 the max. or is it $750 or $1500. With that information I think I may be more helpful to you.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM

One problem is that some of the places that are normally adult only allow children during the Christmas period.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Another thing to consider, using Sandals chain for example, require couples only, so 2 women can't book it!
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and "warnings". Any experiences with Excellence in the Dominican Republic?
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Excellence in Punta Cana with a friend (two females). We were the only "non couple" there at the time, but never felt uncomfortable. It is a smaller adults only with a nice big beach, good food (no dinner reservations needed). It is not nearly as luxurious as the IB Paraiso Grand though.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Have you thought about Secrets Maroma Beach? We stayed there last Christmas - it was elegant. Really.... Much nicer than any Sandals properties. All adult. Definitely 5 star. Btw - saw someone recommended Anse Chastenet. We did that one year. DO NOT go. A horror... From no water to shower, to terrible service, to frozen (with freezer burn) lobster tails... Lovely grounds but unless you want to wait a minimum of an hour for a drink on the beach - forget it.