A little Further Help- Antigua/St. Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much to all who answered my initial questions about Hermitage Bay and Anse Chastanet. I have a few more.
Those of you who know and love Galley Bay have swayed me in that direction for Antigua but I need to know that there is a fairly consistent breeze on the beach.
Is this the case?
What about at Anse Chastanet?
And how would Stonfield Estate compare to AC?
Thanks again for the insight!
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Depends on when you go. If you are talking about summer, probably not. But Anse Chatanet is up on the side of a mountain (the rooms are anyway), so the breeze is better up there.

Stonefield Estate, while nice, is in no way comparable to Anse Chastanet, which is a unique and wonderful luxury resort with some quirks that don't appeal to everyone (no pool, for instance, and a long long walk down to the beach).
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug.
What about Antigua- Galley Bay?
Would Hermitage Bay (although I must admit to leaning toward Galley Bay) offer more of a breeze?
I find the heat so much more comfortable this way.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM

We r going to Stonefield on Dec 18th, we can't wait!
Anse looks amazing, but out of our price range at Xmas.
I think you need to figure out exactly what u r looking for....
Anse/ St Lucia is more lush, dramatic, exotic, more of an expeirence IMHO.
Your property in Antigua looks beautiful, but not as "interesting" as Anse, it just desn't have that "wow" factor...but that just me, lol! Have you ever looked at Ladera??
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM

For Galley Bay, again it depends on when you go. In winter you can usually count on cooling breezes. It summer breezes can vary significantly for day to day. Sometimes even if it's breezy they are not cooling.

FYI - you'll find that situation pretty much the same on any island throughout the Caribbean in summer.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

We're heading off at the beginning of December.
I've traveled to Hawaii more in the past years than the Caribbean and you can almost always count on the trades there.
I agree, AC does look spectacular but we are using miles for our tickets and availability is limited. I'm keeping an eye on it as it does change day to day.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Hi Welch, me again on one of my favorite topics -- Galley Bay! We were there in March and also in early April, the beach was delightful not too windy but it was never so hot that I felt I had to get up from my palapa and walk over to the pool to cool down. People say Aruba is very windy, I did not find it to be that bad, the windiest vacation I ever had was in Turks & Caicos at Point Grace Resort -- for several days you could not even sit on the beach, what a bummer. I have found that the Caribbean is a bit breezier in the summer. Oh, and I think I remember you were concerned about mosquitos -- I am the kind of person who gets eaten alive but I did not have any problems at GB -- I would give myself a little bit of a spray of bug repellent at night since all the restaurants are open air but I don't think I got one bite.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM

we stayed at anse chastenet for 10 nights over christmas a few years ago. not only was there NO breeze at night, but becuase they have just screened windows, the tree frogs keep you awake all night, and get you up at the crack of dawn... my husband was miserable - i don't think he slept more than a few hours each night. he wouldn't go back there again even if it were free. the lobster (which we paid extra for) was had frost bite in it's center, we had no water for about 3 hours the 1st night, and you could wait at least 1 hour for beach service... really bad - and then you would get a side salad without any utensils!! EVERY day this happened to us for TEN days!
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Oh PJ.. Thank you, thank you for your post!!
I always think things like open air rooms sound very romantic till I'm in them! I'm not a person who will camp out under any circumstance and this sounds a little too close to that.
I was just about to re-think my plans. No more.
Back to Antigua!