Search

Caneel vs. Gallows pt.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caneel vs. Gallows pt.

Hi all! Hubby and I are thinking of a St. John trip in February. We stayed at Caneel last year for our honeymoon and LOVED it. The only probelm was we almost never left the resort. I know from childhood trips to St. John (my Grandparents lived there for 20 years) that there is a lot more to see. I'm thinking of Gallows poit this time, or spilting time between the two. I figure with less to do at Gallows we'll be forced to expplre more. I'd love comments on how the two compare, as well as how we should divide our time between the two.

It's looking like a 8day/7night trip. Any comments on if we should start on Caneel or Gallows would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:26 AM

My husband and I tend to split our time on St. John between the Westin and Caneel. We prefer to go to the Westin first, unwind a little, and by the time we go to Caneel we are fully relaxed - so being that Caneel is more quiet we don't mind it at all. I would opt for Gallows first, then go over to Caneel. - Susan
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM

We just do not like packingh and unpacking to begin with so switching is not an option for us and it takes 3++ hours of a nice day. Besides while only visiting Gallows for a few hours it seems Caneel is the winner but at a price. Why not rent a car for a day or for an extra $100 with a driver and see the interesting parts of St. John in 4-5 hours.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM

with StanK on this. Can't see the advantage of being at Gallows (unless price is an issue) where you have to commute to the beaches. At Caneel you still have the option of renting a vehicle to do a bit of touring or taking a taxi into into Cruz Bay for eats instead of staying at Caneel or even going on an island tour.
There are issues with some of the units with the ferry noise and some have complained about noise from town.
I know I am in the minority when it comes to not wanting to commute anywhere on vacation - do enough at home - especially schlepping beach stuff! And I know an extra packing and unpacking to stay on the same island within a few miles of each other just seems like a lot of work! Now if it were the split between Little Dix and Caneel it wouldn't seem so unappealing but I just cannot imagine leaving Caneel with beaches and amenities at the tip of toes for Gallows with a happy heart!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

There were two reasons for spliting time between Gallows and Caneel 1)Cost. 2)Though you can easily rent a jeep and explore from Caneel we were so comfortable there it was hard to find the motivation. I am hoping that the limied snorkling at Gallows will help us get off our butts and explore more than we did last time.

I'm also wondering if there are any snorkels and/or hikes I should avoid. I'll be about 22 weeks pregnant for this trip and am worried about my energy and balance.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

I've been 14 weeks pregnant while on STJ and it seemed fine. At 22 weeks you may be more easily tired and susceptible to heat. February is one of the relatively cooler months but you still need to have the retreat of great airconditioning. I'd definitely rent a car at least half of the time because you are not going to feel like walking too much. Also, as beautiful as Caneel is and as lively and fun as Cruz Bay may be, you will want to explore more of the island and revisit the places you enjoyed as a child. I would avoid the long walks to Waterlemon Cay, Reef Bay and even Saltpond. I would avoid as much long exposure to overheating in the sun and keep that tummy in the shade as much as possible. I really enjoyed being pregnant and found it a great time to just relax and commune with the baby growing. Have a wonderful time.