St. Lucia - suggestions please

Sep 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

St. Lucia - suggestions please

Hi - I've booked my boyfriend and I into Windjammer landing for one week, early December. We're both active and adventurous and looking for suggestions on activities that can't be missed. Best snorkelling sites, best scuba, etc. Also, any recommended excursions?I hear the Grenadines trip is great but it seems pricey. Finally, any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to have at least one very nice dinner to celebrate a birthday. Thanks in advance!
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM

One must see is the Pitons. The best way is by boat from where you are staying. Some of these trips also include snorkeling, a visit to the "drive in volcano" and lunch. We used a fellow named Joy that operated from our resort at Morgan Bay (just south of you). Your resort can probably recommend someone for same. If you can get Joy all the better.

Go into Castries and visit the farmer's market and the craft market. Great fun. Your resort is a bit off the main highway but if you want to walk to the highway you can catch the local buses to downtown Castries and back for like 50 cents each way per person (might be higher now). Fun way to meet the locals and get around. Otherwise, a taxi will work.

We stayed at an AI so we only ate one meal out and it was fabulous. The name is The Coal Pot in Castries near the airport but right on the water. Food was excellent. It is one of the highest rated in St Lucia.

Pigeon Island is also interesting and close to the Windjammer as well.

Another option that might be interesting is to hire a driver and a car for the day and have him/her take you around the island. We did that and it was an interesting way to see a lot of the island. Again, I would check with your hotel for names and suggestions.

Have fun. St Lucia is great!
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I agree with the Coal Pot recommedation. Another real romantic choice is the Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay. It's on the expensive side, but worth it in my opinion. It's about a half hour ride south of your hotel. The ATV (all terrain vehicle) excursion that leaves from right near the Cricket Grounds not far from the Windjammer(I can't remember the name of the place, but they'll know what you are referring to if you ask at your hotel) is a lot of fun, too.
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I agree with all of the suggestions. Although it has been 3 years since we were there, I too highly recommend The Coal Pot. Wonderful food and ambience.

Yes, The Grenadines trip is a little pricey, but it is very worth it. That island chain is difficult and time consuming to get to for a vacation. If you have the chance to see this beautiful area, I would go for it. Ours was really a "flight seeing tour" as the plane flies low and you can see all of the islands. We landed on Union Island and went to Mayreau, Tobago Cays and Palm Island. What a day that was!

We also did the ATV Adventure and had a great time. The scenery is beautiful. We had to go through a mangrove and got extremely dirty so keep that in mind. We hired our own taxi for the day to take us around to the main attractions. You might also want to look into a "Land and Sea" tour. Have fun! St Lucia is a stunning island.
Oct 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM

We just came back from a trip in Sept 2007. The Rainforest canopy ride was really great. The tour takes about an hour and is well worth going. You can also do the zip line there, but you don't get to see as much doing that.

You can cruise aboard the "Black Pearl" from the Pirates movie.

The botanical gardens and walk to Diamond Falls is nice.

Also enjoyed the volcano and a catamaran trip (out of Rodney Bay) on the Carnival (not the cruise line) that stops for a while to do some snorkeling.

Also went horseback riding along the beach and took the horses in the water. Very fun.

We stayed at the Sandals Grande St. lucian. I think they are just down the beach and you might be able to sneak in along the beach if you act like you belong there. The pools there are really great! It is an awesome resort too. I think you can buy day passes for $15.00 from what someone told me too.
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Coal Pot definitely, and Buzz also gives a great meal.
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Don't miss out on the Friday night Gros Islet party. You will get a good feel of the locals and culture. (and will always feel safe!) We also enjoyed the full day tour to the rain forest and snorkeling and/or volleyball. Great fun and very adventurous!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM

We've been to the Windjammer 8 times (timeshare owner) and might be able to help.The Windjammer has 2 catamaran trips a week which leave from the resort. One a day trip down to the Pitons and to see the botanical gardens, drive through volcano, etc. and other is a sunset cruise (lots of fun). We have also charted a motor boat from ocean sports at the resort. We did a private trip to the Pitons, snorkeled and had lunch at Ane Chasnet and Jaloise. Ocean sports offer scuba diving and free kayaks, windsurfers, sailboats, banana boat and tube rides. Also, free snorkeling trip everyday. You do not have to do the all inclusive to take part in these activities. Coal Pot & Buzz- great!