Search

Mini-trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini-trip

Hello all...
I am planning a short getaway for the end of January...it is for my boyfriend's birthday, and we can get away for only 3-4 nights. We are both in our late, late 20's. I would like to suprise him with something special...any suggestions on where to go? I am traveling from NY, if that helps. Thanks!!!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Tell us a bit more about what you are looking for. Quiet, nightlife, beach, culture, snorkeling, etc. and we can suggest some spots. You can probably easily get to a lot of spots from NY (assuming NY metro area).
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Since we are only able to make it a long weekend, I think just a quiet place with a beach and some nightlife would be great. Thanks!!!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I would look at Jamaica. Tensing Pen would be a nice quiet resort on the cliffs with Rick's within walking distance. Rockhouse and The Caves would also be great with the Caves being the ultimate for a romantic getaway although it may be out of your price range and there is really no nightlife. Look at Playa del Carmen Mexico too. It is a fantastic town close to cancun filled with tons of nightlife and great hotels that are quite reasonable.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Beachbum2...funny you should mention Playa Del Carmen...we just came back last month..stayed at the Iberostar and loved it. I did not have a good experience in Jamaica, so can you think of any other places? I was in the Bahamas years ago, pre-Atlantis, but did not like it. Have you been, should I try again?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM

The out islands of the Bahamas are fantastic, but lacking in the nightlife department. Best beaches close to the USA though.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM

I have done the Bahamas several times and they are ok. Atlantis is just so huge, but if you liked the Iberostar, you may like Atlantis. The One and Only Ocean Club is a small upscale resort down the beach from Atlantis, but you get full privledges. It was very nice and we would go back again if there weren't so many other great places to try or we didn't want to return to the Caves this year and Mexico. I would reconsider Jamaica. We did not think we would like it, but needed a quick getaway at a luxury resort and we can't wait to return to the caves. It is really an amazing place. We walked to Tensing Pen and Rockhouse to check them out which is why I suggested them. We did go to the beach in Negril 1 day, but couldn't wait to return to the caves. There is really no nightlife, but ahhhh. I think you will be hard pressed to find anything better with beach, culture and nightlife to beat PDC. If you ever get the chance, look into a crewed yacht charter out of the BVI's. It gives you great beaches and great nighlife as you hop from place to place. Fun vacation...........also great with a few other couples if noone is an avid sailor.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM

why not bermuda? Thats only a 2-21/2 hr flight from nyc.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM

If you have to have beach weather, I would not recommend the Bermuda for January. The Bahamas could be nippy that time of year also.

Due to time restraints, I would research direct flights from NY to the carribean and work from there.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi clueless...which islands in the caribbean are warm in Jan.? Also, my darling BF decided to tell me that he would not mind going to San Fran for his b-day instead. But SF in Jan for 3 days seems a little too rushed...don't you think? Anyone with any suggestions...please help!!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:19 AM

I thought of another place you may want to look at...San Juan. There are nice beaches and great night life. Just a thought. There are also many nice resorts in Arizona if you decide to stay in the states.