which are the best 5* all inclusive resorts?

Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

which are the best 5* all inclusive resorts?

we're looking for suggestions please on the best 5* all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, catering to couples. thank you.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

I don't know if it truly qualifies as a 5* - maybe more of a 4*, but we love Palm island in the Grenadines. You land on Union Island and then take a ten minute ride on PI's own boat to their private island. Depending on where you are coming from, you may have to overnight on Barbados. It has a casual ambiance rather than a glitzy one. The beachfront cottages are made out of stone and I enjoyed sitting out on our patio every day as it was quite private and had beautiful views. The dining is wonderful and the spectacular white-sand beaches are the best we've ever seen. Totally relaxing, especially if you have a lot of everyday stresses in your life. Very romantic. We received complimentary airfare from Barbados and back again because we stayed for 7 days. No TV in the rooms but we found we really liked that. There is a TV room if you really feel the need to watch something. You may have someone on the computer, but the TV will probably be your own.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM

The Iberostar Paraiso Grand (in Mexico's Riviera Maya) was just voted the best luxury resort in the Caribbean/Mexico in Trip Ad;visors poll.
It is a wonderful adults only all inclusive resorts.
Is a big beach important to you? Is the pool important? More info would allow us to help you.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM

Here are some of the better ones:

Royal Hideaway in Mexico
Spice Island on Grenada
Jumby Bay, a private island off the coast of Antigua
Peter Island, a private island off the coast of Tortola (not a true AI, but activities and meals are included in the rates)
Palm Island, as Knowing already suggested.
Parrot Caye in the Turks & Caicos (also not a true AI, but meal plans available)

Many luxury resorts will offer either a complete meal plan or an AI add-on option. Knowing more about what you're looking for would be helpful. Most of the above places aren't adults only, but their price range and/or remoteness is such that you'd be unlikely to find many children at them.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:24 AM

I'd like to add Galley Bay in Antigua. More like a four-star -- it's kind of "rustic" luxury like Palm Island (operated by the same company)except the new premium beachfront rooms are incredible with every amenity. Truly an all-inclusive with all drinks, meals, taxes, service and watersports included. I have also been to Royal Hideaway and it was nice (food was incredible) but a little too big and crowded for my taste -- beach was very crowded. Galley Bay does not allow children which is a huge plus for us when we travel without ours. We'd love to try Peter Island and Palm Island. Saw Jumby Bay from the water, beach looks incredible but what puts me off a bit is many of the rooms are not beachfront. This is also an issue at Royal Hideaway, not many rooms have ocean views. Galley Bay is the first resort we have ever repeated -- not for everyone but perfect for us.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM

Curtain Bluff, Antigua is excellent.

Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM

I have been to Galley Bay, Palm Island and Hermitage Bay over the last several years. I would rate Palm over Galley as it is much more intimate. Our stay at Galley in May 2008 was just ok. This being said, Hermitage is the best of all three although the price point is higher. . .
Feb 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Ritz Carlton Jamaica is very nice.

I think some of the better hotels in the Caribbean offer all inclusive options.

I'm pretty sure Cap Juluca in Anguilla does.
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM

SweeneyBoston -- we'd love to stay at Hermitage Bay but figured we'd have to sell one of our kids to do so, gosh those rack rates are high and we have never seen any discounted rates or specials -- have you? Last year we got about 25% off Galley Bay and even though we loved it, still feel it was overpriced by about $100 - $150 a night, this year we are returning on a 50% off deal and feel we are getting a great value. Now if only Hermitage Bay would be affordable . . .
Feb 5th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Best 5 star all inclusive is Palma Real in Punta Cana.Great food great service great beach.
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Hi Eileen,

You are right, Hermitage is extremely expensive. This being said, the experience tops all others I have had in the Caribbean. I was able to negotiate a discount of 10% but that was before these crazy economic times. I would bet they are willing to go 20%. Give it a try!!
Feb 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. Last year it seemed like many of the Antigua resorts had relatively decent occupancy thanks to Europeans, whose currency's strength against the dollar was essentially providing a 25 - 30% discount for them -- this year of course, everyone seems to be hurting so I think there are more deals. By the way, I came across a post you made to me in December that I never answered, I think asking about how we got to Curacao from PHL -- we didn't. We had to go to Ft. Lauderdale to drop our kids off with their grandparents, then flew from Miami to Curacao the next day. Sorry for the late response.
Feb 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I agree about Curtain Bluff in Antigua. It's wonderful. You certainly get more in terms of service and amenities than Hermitage Bay and/or Galley Bay for what you pay. And although there are children, you don't trip over them.
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Search no more www.neckerisland.com
Feb 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Would someone please comment about the ever increasing crime rate in Antigua and if one should be concerned about booking there? Several high profile murders recently and co-workers of mine have reported feeling unsafe during recent visits.

I have not been so am curious. I have been to many other islands, some of which have perception of high crime (like Jamaica). Thanks for any input.
Feb 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Hi, we were there last March (going back in April)and rented a car so we got out and about a bit. We toured around during the day and never felt unsafe (in fact, got lost and had to stop and ask directions several times, everyone seemed nice). That being said, I don't think I would be comfortable wandering around St. John after dark but I wouldn't really want to do that in the capitals of plenty of other islands, that's just my own comfort level. Been to lots of other islands and did not feel any less safe in Antigua, I think what happens is a few incidents get blown out of proportion (like when Aruba got a bad rap when Natalee Holloway disappeared) and people get nervous. Obviously we enjoyed Antigua since we are going back.
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM

eileen thanks for the input
Apr 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Any comments on the Reef Cayman Islands All inclusive?
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Royal Plantation, not mentioned yet, is suppose to be a top 25 Carribean AI....I'm going in August.

The main one, featured recently in movie: "License to Wed" is in Ocho Rios. They also have an island in the Exhumas and have plans to open several more. Suppose to be the "elite" of the Sandals chain, with its own brand "Royal Plantation"
Apr 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Friends of ours just returned from the Iberostar Maya in Mexico and said it was great. They went as a family, so I would check out the Grand that Schmerl above mentioned. They said they felt that the food was good and the resort was beautiful and the people very friendly.