Notices

Temptation Island - Where are they???

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temptation Island - Where are they???

Just wondering if anyone knows where this show is being filmed....looks nice.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:16 AM

I'm thinking I saw somewhere that it's Roatan, Honduras. I could be mistaken, however.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Costa Rica...for more info go here: www.fox.com/temptation2/home.htm there is a link for costa rica
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I beleive Temptation Island 1 was from Ambergris Caye, Belize. TI2 was from the north Pacific coast of Costa Rica and TI3 is from Roatan Island (Luna Resort and Palmetto Resort) off the coast of Honduras.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:49 AM

sorry---i didn't know there was a 3!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Actually I hate to even acknowledge that I know there is a TI3. Coincidentally, I happened to see an episode last night. As I am in the process of planning our winter holiday (either Ambergris Caye or Roatan) I noted the hotel names shown during last nights program and looked them up. From what I have discovered so far travelling from Canada (Ottawa) to Belize or Honduras (Roatan Island) is not going to be easy.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM

JJDave -

I have been to Ambergris Cay, if you have any questions, I would be happy to try and help
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:31 AM

SandyFeet.thanks for the offer. Right now are choice is the Banana Beach resort for 2 weeks (Feb/March). We like to have a kitchenette and balcony. Some of the other places we looked at either didn't have a kitchenette (SunBreeze), were on the North end or were in the heart of town (concerned about late nite noise from bars, etc.) Do you have any comments on this place? Where did you stay? Any particular reason for that choice? We are having some difficulty figuring out how to get there from Ottawa (Ontario, Canada). At the moment it looks like a hop to Newark and then on the Belize. However, we don't think we would get there in time for the last flight to the ACaye. So, may have to spend nite (Fort George?)in BCity and over the next day. Any comments you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:07 AM

I live in NY, so what we took 2 days to get there. We flew from NY to Miami and spent the night. Then we flew from Miami to Belize City, then a smaller plane (I mean much smaller like 4 seats and flew with the windows open) to San Pedro. In San pedro we got on a boat that took us to our resort, Journeys End. Which was very nice, take a look by doing a google search, not pricy but very nice and very clean. They have a nice beach and beach service and a Tiki Hut Beach Bar. Theres also a restaurant which you can go to in shorts t shirt and no shoes (very realaxed). Dressy clothes definately not needed - swimsuits, shorts, tees and lots of sunblock. I have to say that was THE hottest sun I have ever felt in my life - WOW!
Belize and Ambergris Cay does not have a lot of shopping, I was there a few years ago, but I did not see any readily available easy to get to markets for food, but Belize has become popular recently so maybe things have changed. So a kitchenette may not be needed. The biggest town was San Pedro, which we used a Catamaran to get to or there was the resort boat that took us back and forth. It is very rural and not many roads, or at least where we stayed. San Pedro does have roads, but where we were there was not. We had the meal plan at Journeys End, and the food was really good! I think that may be your best bet as food is shipped in and there is not a lot readily available and is quite expensive, so a meal plan worked for us. We went into San Pedro one day to try and find a bottle of champagne -- could not. We used to watch the supply boats come in everyday with food and supplies. I would think finding groceries would be difficult and expensive, IMHO. I found it to be very unlike other caribbean islands in that way...there is really nothing to buy! I guess it is like Anguilla may have been 30 years ago, rural and caribbean rustic. If I remember correctly they have carrots and potatoes readily available and not much more.
Belize is not a cushy vacation, beautiful and unspoiled - YES If you are a diver or a fisherman you will be in heaven. There are not a lot of roads there, so boat transportation is necessary to get anywhere. We explored a lot and found it to be absolutely beautiful & untouched. We sat every night on our balcony drinking Miliken beer and watching all the shooting stars in the sky. since there is no "light pollution" it is so amazing to see all those stars!
If you ahve any more questions...just ask
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Thanks SandyFeet. I/we don't plan to do any cooking per se. I just like to be able to make coffee when I want/need (I get up most days before 5) , toast if the fancy hits, a sandwich maybe before my afternoon siesta...that kind of thing. My wife may not be too pleased to here about the shopping but at least I won't be out on a bench with the other husbands patiently waiting.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM

There are coffee makers and mini fridges in all rooms. I think that would be just about all you would need. The fridge is great for water... )use bottled as the water there is desalinized (sp?) and beers. It's definately not a shopping mecca, that's for sure, when I said not a lot of shopping I meant none to speak of really. I had a hard time finding a candy bar...and when I did the chocolate on it turned white - yuck. There was no stores of anykind (except for the gift shop at the resort, they sell the usual stuff pepto bismol, toothpaste etc..) In order to get bread you will have to go to San Pedro, you will not find it in Ambergris Cay. Like I stated above, everything has to be shipped in, so keep that in mind as you will not find a bakery in San Pedro. When I was there the town of San Pedro had dirt roads, not paved..I'm sure you will find stuff to eat, but it is not like another island where there are cute local markets with shelves lined with stuff. It's different, don't expect to find Wonder bread and a deli section - LOL. Think more shelf stable stuff like pretzles, peanuts, even the butter is out of a can. Remember this stuff is not trucked in - no roads!
Belize is more of an adventure, so I would prepare your wife..no high heels needed It may look the same as other caribbean islands from pictures but when you are there is is a different story. I remember bringing spending money and coming home with almost all of it. Since we had the meal plan (thank god) there was nothing really to spend money on.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

JJDave,

Just make sure you do a (LOT) of research before you commit to Ambergris Caye. We went this year with a group of 6 adults. Although we had a fun vacation, there are parts of Belize that would keep us from going back. Just as Sandyfeet says, it's definitely an adventure. Although you can find some great restaurants, and some very nice resorts, the island remains what we would consider primative. San Pedro is nothing short of charming, and the people are some of the warmest & friendliest we've have experienced in the caribbean.

You can't rent a car there, just golf carts. We loved this part, and found the town to be a lot of fun. I honestly can't say enough about the locals, they were absolutely wonderful.

The watersports are endless, and snorkeling, diving & fishing are all excellent. The tough part is that all must be experienced by boat. Here's why: The barrier reef off of Ambergris is the 2nd largest in the world. This makes for some great snorkeling & diving. The downside is the main reason we will not return to Belize, and that's the beaches. Because of being sheltered by the reef, there is a (LOT) of seagrass that grows in front of the beach. Don't expect wide beautiful beaches here, they don't exist. And the water is filled with grass & seaweed, which kept us in the pool all week. Also, the island has a serious garbage issue. While you'll find nicely groomed beaches in front of the better resorts, you'll also find piles of trash inbetween, and very nasty sections of seaweed covered beach. So if pristine beaches with clear water are important to you, I'd highly recommend taking a closer look at this destination. Ambergris is a great spot for many, and has become very popular, but it's not fit for all, and you need to know exactly what you are about to get into before going....trust me.

If you do a search here at fodors, you should be able to find my very comprehensive trip report of our 10 day stay on AC. I have covered everything you'll need to know, and you can make your decision from there.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Hye ScottB,

That's right I forgot about the garbage thing! We wwent to the end of the beach and found (actually saw) the locals carting their garbage into the woods, so to speak. I am assuming because there are no roads, there is no garbage collection so they do it the old fashioned way. They just dump it away from their home and it is everywhere. Before we saw that happen we were wondering where all the garbage came from. You will find it almost everywhere you go.

I was also surpirsed about the lack of beach! At Journeys End where we stayed it was a man made beach (but it was raked every day). Due to the reef there is no long stretches of beautiful beach and clear water
like you will find on other islands. Most of the shore was bulk head type, with no real sand. There are beaches, but not like you would imagine. We also used the pool due to the water at the beach.

If you are an avid diver and fisherman you will be in your glory. To spend 2 weeks there -- well like Scott stated above, do your homework!

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Thank you both for your comments. I will certainly consider the seagrass and beach situation a little more. We had run into a similar problem at Nettle Bay (St. M) and Turtle Bay (St. Kitts). Kind of dampers ones enthusiasum for a nice swim in the ocean when you have to wait for someone to come along a rake the beach. The garbage situation would also be bothersome. We like a nice clean island, with friendly people and a good variety to restaurants. Your comments, coupled with the difficulty in getting there (from Ottawa) may have us rethink destinations.