Notices

Costa Rica or Belize

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica or Belize

We have one week in May to get away without our kids and can't decide between Costa Rica or Belize. Any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:13 AM

I was at the Turtle Inn in Belize in November and the Four Seasons in Costa Rica last week. LOVED Costa Rica. It was much prettier than where we were in Belize, and the people were much friendlier.

Cost was very similar.

Weather also better in Costa Rica on the Pacific side. Beaches nicer.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM

We have been to Costa Rica twice and do find it a beautiful country. There is so much to see and do, that we find ourselves moving around a lot and pretty darn busy.

We went to Ambergris Caye in Belize last June and basically just hung out and did a few snorkeling trips, and my husband went fishing a couple days. Much more relaxed.

I haven't done any of the mainland jungle areas of Belize, so it's hard to directly compare them with Costa Rica.

I think you should decide what you want to see and do on this vacation and take it from there.

I would disagree with the previous poster regarding the friendliness of the people. We found the residents of Belize to be every bit as friendly as the people of Costa Rica.

Jean
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM

I've not been to Belize but have been to Costa Rica which was amazing. If you're into Scuba diving then I would say Belize is the better choice. But that is the only pro over Costa Rica I have ever heard. I also agree with the comment regarding the Pacific coast of C.R....much better than the other side of the country.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:18 PM

some more pros for Belize-wealth of Maya culture and sites, caving with artifacts, multi cultural but english speaking, you can use US currency, fabulous diving, snorkeling and sailing, great for tarpon, snook, permit and bonefish. CR will have much better beaches, more wildlife, better river rafting, better big game fishing on the Pacific.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM

It is true that Costa Rica has SO MUCH to see and do that one would need several months to do most of it leisurely! Just expect to want to return over and over. We are preparing for our 7th trip. . .this time just to a more remote (I think) beach area--Malpais--where our plan is to relax and enjoy and work on our Spanish! Other times we have tried to see and do more. I think after several trips we have arrived at the conclusion that yes, we are going to keep going back and, yes, eventually we will see most of it! and yes, we can afford to just spend a week in one place this time. As for the Pacific side, it's not an area where I would spend a lot of time, but it's definitely worth checking out if you want to really KNOW the country in full. We enjoyed the difference in culture, saw some beautiful beaches, visited an indigenous family in their home in the jungle, crossed the Sixaola River into Panama in a very long homemade canoe with a motor. . .it's just different over there. I'm glad we went at least once. We'll go back again one day. That having been said, no trip to Costa Rica would be complete for us without at least a few days on the Pacific!