Suggestions for St. Lucia/Palm Island

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:33 PM
David

Suggestions for St. Lucia/Palm Island

my new wife and i are heading to Palm Island in the grenadines for 7 days and to st. lucia for 6 days.... we're staying at Rendezvous near Castries.. Does anyone have any good suggestions on good beaches? spots to visit and eat at? and for some good old fashion culture?:.. and good Snorkeling areas? and any fun day trips? I hear that the Tobago Cays is excellent? thanks for any suggestions.
DM

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:12 PM
GM

See my reply to you under the St. Lucia vs. Cayman.

Hope you can still change the Rendezvous reservation....

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Janet

David
Take the Palm Island yacht to the Tobago Cays for the day - it is beautiful. Also get them to take you to Petit St Vincent. There isn't anything else to do on Palm Island except eat, drink and look at the scenery, but it is out of this world. Enjoy yourself!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:11 AM
ann

We honeymooned at Palm Island in 1990 and returned for 4 other 2-week stays. Our last visit in 2000 was the first under the new ownership. After the experience of the resort under the ownership of John & Mary Caldwell we were pleased with the many infrastructure improvements but disappointed with the service and the terrible insect problem.

Perhaps the fact that it was the first year under corporate ownership contributed to these problems.

We would be most interested in your impressions upon return as we have never been to a more beautiful, peaceful and private place. We'd go back someday with some assurance that positive changes have been made.

The food was exquisite, the resort itself is like your own private island (only 4 of us there for a few days) but for the price the air conditioning was completely inadequate, the bar staff inattentive, and the insect problem made it impossible to sit on the (very beautiful) beach; insect problem inside our room was another unpleasant experience.

Please let us know. We love to hear the news is good.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Mary

David: Try the Coal Pot for dinner near Castries. It's on the waterfront near the marina, open air, and has a charming ambiance. It's somewhat small so I'd suggest reservations. The food and service was the best on the island (that we experienced).

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:39 PM
David

thanks Janet, Mary , GM, and Ann. Ann--When we return, I will let you know what I thought of the Palm Island Renovations.. THnaks so much everyone...Any other suggestions would be appreciated... Gobble Gobble!!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 07:40 PM
joan

Ann, what kind of insects are you talking about? Noseeums? Were there roaches in the rooms? Or louvered windows which allowed the noseeums in?

I've always wanted to go there!

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 10:09 AM
ann

During previous trips to Palm Island the Caldwells "fogged" the entire area evey evening - it was momentarily unpleasant (smokey) but eliminated mosquitos, sand fleas and no-seemums outside. We never had any inside insect problems.

Last time the beach was unbearable even using OFF - we opted for the pool area. Inside our room there were ants on the interior walls - including behind and in the bed (!). I was miserable with mosquito bites and other guests traveled over to the drug store on Union island seeking relief.
Despite all of these inconviences it is still one of the most beautiful places on the face of the earth. The island help which comes over everyday from Union Island are very pleasant as well as the maids who were most accomodating. The snorkeling is also good right off the main beach area. i even saw some sharks while there.