Search

Twin with Grenada ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin with Grenada ?

Can anyone suggest another island to either visit before or after Grenada? We will be travelling from the uk & would prefer not too many changes. Would it be best to visit Grenada first & then fly to another island & back again after a week or the other way around. grateful for any help & would prefer a smaller island rather than the larger well known islands.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM

When we were in Grenada the most recent visit - two years ago...we leanred about a great cottage on Petit Carriacou (sp?!?!) and instead of flying you can take the local ferry across - it is a smaller island that many people rave about. We have not yet visited but it is on the list. Another option may be to stay in Grenada for a week then do a Catamaran tour of the Grenadines...or why not go to BEAUTIFUL St. Vincent and stay there...after Grenada then take the tour of the Grenadines....You would likely have a most spectacular experience of the REAL REAL Caribbean that way - and I have heard from my West Indian friends that St Vincent locals are known for their hospitality and incredible ability to party! If that is what you are also looking for... But Good call on Grenada it is my favorite island of the many I have visited....but wait until I return from my soon trip to St.Kitts I may have a tie for first...

Have fun!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Carriacou is, as previous poster mentioned, the easiest island to get to from Grenada, as you can fly or ferry. Other islands with easy connections would be Barbados, St. Lucia, Trinidad, St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

I just returned from a two week split between Grenada and Bequia (one of the Grenadines) with a day trip to St. Vincent. The Grenadines will definitely be a throwback to the old Caribbean. Barbados is the most developed and refined of the options I listed. St. Lucia is a bit more lush the Grenada, but still has a similar vibe in my opinion.

Tell us what you might be looking for--something similar to or different from Grenada, and what specifically, and we can jump in with lots of input.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

We like a good resort on a beach & enjoyed Barbados coral Reef Club this year twinned with palm Island which although lovely, food not very good So, would prefer somewhere smaller than Grenada, have been to st Lucia & tobago, so think it will probably have to be another island in the Grenadines. We love the Caribbean & its people & have also visited antigua & Tobago. Thank you so much for any suggestions. Don't like noisy resorts with lots of nightlife!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I don't know Carriacou at all, and I'm fairly certain there aren't any beach resorts there, but there have been a couple of trip reports in the last couple of years. You could also try to twist the arm of a poster here named Diana ( ) who loves that island and is considering purchasing property there. She could give you a boatload of info on the island.

As for beach resorts, you might want to check out the Tamarind on Canouan, a tiny island in the Grenadines. There's also the giant Raffles resort on the same island.

There aren't many accommodations in the resort category on Bequia, but there are some lovely hotels & villas and lots of simple guest houses all over the island. You might want to check out Plantation House and the Friendship Bay Hotel in particular.

Mustique doesn't have any resorts at all--it's all upscale private villas and two small hotels, the Cotton House and the Firefly.

Mayreau offers the Saltwhistle Bay Club.

Union island probably isn't what you're looking for. Neither is Petit St. Vincent if you didn't care for the food at Palm Island.

On St. VIncent you could check out Young Island, a small private island resort just offshore.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

thank you very much for your suggestions & i will check out Carriacou. We went over Canouan when flying back to Barbados this year, so may have a look at that. We like a good hotel, not too large with good food. Do you think the tamarind would fit the bill?
Thanks again