St. John -- what to arrange NOW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, we've got the tickets and the hotel (Westin). We've got a ferry transfer from STT to Westin Report and back again. My husband and I and 2 daughters (ages 11 and 9) will be there from 2/15/04 to 2/20/04. What else do I need to arrange NOW before I arrive? We want to rent a jeep -- do it now? If so, through who? We want to go to some of the restaurants mentioned on this forum (Paradiso, Zozos, Chilly Billy's). Reservations needed? Others we shouldn't miss that need reservations (don't hold back because of our kids; our NYC girls have sophisticated tastes!). We want to try snorkeling. Reserve equipment now or does the Westin provide, and if so, is it good equip? Do you recommend any boat trips that need reserving now? I'm going to come back to you folks again with what not to miss there that doesn't need arranging now, but first I want to focus on the timely arranging of this other stuff. Thanks so much! I picked STJ based on the good review and archives of this amazing forum!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:02 PM

Relax - everything will be available when you get there! Do have a plan and let the Westin help you with any necessary arrangements as soon as you get settled in.

They have snorkel equipment - it's decent if you don't mind rental. If the thought grosses you out - bring mask and tube and borrow fins.

Enjoy - except for Christmas week I don't think St. John is ever that crowded.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM

I would definitely reserve the 'Jeep' now. We rented a Jeep Liberty from Coutesy last fall. St. John is a great island to explore.

The snorkeling and beach access is also great on St. John. Recommend 'St. John Off the Beaten Path' available at USVI On-Line.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:04 AM

I agree with the above poster. Reserve your jeep now! We have had good experiences with St. John Car Rental. As far as restaurant reservations, I would decide where I want to go and then make reservations for each when you have arrived. Additional help at Bookit.VI Have a great time!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:58 AM
caribtraveler

the only thing we reserved before our trip to st. john was the westin ferry and our jeep.
there's a car rental agency on westin's property. i can't remember the name but you can just call the westin and they'll transfer you to them.
you can make your hotel reservations the morning before you go out to dinner.
we brought our own snorkeling gear so can't help you there!
i'm so envious! have a great time.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

great advice, guys. thanks. I'll call Westin re: jeep rental, CaribTraveler (BTW, your trip report was great help). Hate to sound naive -- and I can check with Westin on this, but does the fact that I have a "transfer" from my travel agent mean that I have ferry reservations? All of a sudden I suspect that I still need reservations? (My travel agent is, er, travelling and so I can't ask her!). I guess I'll ask Westin, but if one of you is oneline and can answer quickly that would be great!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:29 PM
caribtraveler

kflodin..i obviously meant you can make your RESTAURANT reservations the night you go out to dinner!
i'm glad my trip report was helpful.
we called the westin directly for the ferry reservation. all they do is put you down on their list for the arrival date. i don't think you have anything to lose by calling them if you're concerned about it.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
MIG

One thought...if the Westin transfers are included in a package, that sounds fine. If you are paying for them for 4 people, it would probably be much less expensive to rent a car at STT and bring it over to St. John on the car ferry (they run every half hour or so until 7 pm - no reservations required). We did this last week and it was a piece of cake.

Other than car rental, I wouldn't worry too much about reservations before you get there.