St Thomas/St John Car Rental Help

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:54 AM
DJ

St Thomas/St John Car Rental Help

We are planning to rent a car on St Thomas and take it on the Ferry to St John for 10 days in July. From reading this forum, I've decided that I want a 4-wheel drive and a hardtop that I can lock. (Am I correct in assuming that if I don't get a hard-top I'll have an open-air vehicle in which I can't roll up the windows if it rains??) I also understand that the only agencies that will let me use the ferry are Budget, Discount, and Dependable. OK, for my question: I don't know much about cars. What specific type of vehicle should I request? What agency?? Thanks for your help!

Old May 12th, 2002, 05:06 AM
sharon

Why don't you just rent a car on St John? There are terrific rental companies there - I can name several. And, as someone posted earlier, I've heard too many reports of people who've rented on St Thomas, then have a flat tire or breakdown and have to wait hours and hours for help to come from St Thomas! What a waste of time to save just a few bucks! Seems silly. We've rented from Conrad Sutton and had excellent service. Plus you can often park in their lot in Cruz Bay if its really crowded (which is always is). Yes, you definitely want 4wd and a hardtop. If there are only 2 of you, we found that a Suzuki Sidekick worked just fine.

Old May 12th, 2002, 05:27 AM
islander

IF there is a problem with service and you've rented on St. Thomas, you'll likely have a long wait for flat tires, lost keys, etc. But many do it and have no problems at all. One of the agencies (Dependable maybe) does charge $50 if they have to make a service call on St. John. St. John rental companies do not allow the top to be down on the jeeps.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:28 PM
DJ

Four of us will be traveling together--two adults and two teenagers. Would a Suzuki Sidekick be too small? We tend to haul a lot of stuff with us.

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Linda

Just got back from St. John a few days ago. Had a very bad experience with L&L Jeep Rental. I reserved a jeep back in January. When I got to St. John they said they had our reservation but no jeep for us. The person I reserved the jeep with was either dense or on something - couldn't express a thought if his life depended on it. The owner didn't want anything to do with us. Luckily the staff at Caneel Bay arranged for us to get a jeep with Sun & Sand Car Rental. Bottom line - don't use L&L Jeep Rental!

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Jasmine

Just got back from St. Thomas/St.John/BVI trip. It was just amazing! We rented from Dependable and had no problems. Michelle is just wonderful and has great customer service. There was a funny noise coming from our car (not bad), but when we told Michelle, she offered to drive over to our hotel and exchange cars. When we said we were on our way to dinner, she decided to drive over to the restaurant!

Of course, it is true that if you do get a flat tire or lose keys on St. John, you're on your own...

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 02:32 PM
dj

We've decided on a Jeep Liberty from Budget, so that we'll have plenty of room for our teens and all their stuff. Anyone have any comments on the Jeep Liberty, or Budget on St. Thomas? Thanks.