Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Thomas car rental agency with roadside assistance on St. John?

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

Is there a car rental agency that has roadside assistance on St. John? We currently have a reservation with Dependable Car Rental. They allow cars to go over to St. John, but don't provide roadside assistance.

I called Avis and they said the same thing (you're on your own while on St. John).

I don't assume we're likely to need it, but just wondered if any agencies offer this.

Thanks.

Carole
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?

I thought maybe Avis would have roadside assistance on St. John since (I think) there is an Avis there too... but on the phone they told me they don't have roadside service on STJ.

Thanks.

Carole
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:59 AM

I don't think you're going to find this kind of service.

Most of the car rental businesses on St. John are mom & pop operations, not large corporate based organizations like Avis or Hertz. Car repair businesses on the island are of the same type, small and on "island time" too.

Seriously consider renting your vehicle on St John. IMO there is little to be gained by renting on STT and bringing the car over on the ferry.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

tpatricco - We don't want to rent a car on St. John because our hotel is on St. Thomas. For the 3-4 days (of our 8 days in the USVI) that we come over to St. John, we'd be paying for rental cars in 2 places... so that doesn't seem to work, unfortunately.

We figure our best option is to just take the car ferry / barge over on the days we go to St. John.

Carole
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Ok. I didn't note that you were the same poster who was asking about beaches on your other thread.

I think on the car rental thing you'll just have to take your chances.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM

cawhite: Car rentals can be arranged on a daily basis. If you are planning to be spending all of your day and perhaps part of the evening on STJ on any given day, you could always arrange to not rent a car on St. Thomas for that day. For example, if on days 3-6 of your trip you are planning to spend on STJ, then you would only rent a car on STT for days 1-2 and 7-8. You can always take a taxi to and from your hotel. The Red Hook passenger ferry runs every hour from like 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. If you take a ferry over to STJ, you can rent from one of the local agencies and then tool around, maybe stay for dinner and then return to STT and taxi back to your hotel. If that doesn't work for you, you could take your chances. If you don't take the more daring off-road routes, you should be okay.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Tuxedocat - Hmmm... now that's an idea!

We'd miss the St. Thomas weekly rental discount, but we wouldn't have to deal with the car ferry, and we could stay longer each day on St. John! Wow... I think I need to look into that.

So it's not a "pain" renting a car on a daily basis? Like you say we could rent a couple of days at the beggining and end on St. John, and have several days in the middle to rent a car on St. Thomas.

What do others thing about that???
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

oops... I see you said the opposite of me, Tuxedocat (St. John in the middle)... that's even better because we're more likely to need a car when we first arrive on St. Thomas and then again before we leave.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Oh, also... is there one car rental agency that is better to use on St. John for 1 day rentals... possibly one that is close to the ferry dock??
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Cool Breeze and Courtesy are fairly close, and I've used them both with great luck.

I would also note that parking in Cruz Bay is very difficult this time of year, you may be better of using taxis while on StJohn.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mauimarti - we're not going until June, so hopefully there will be fewer cars.

Does anyone know how difficult the Cruz Bay parking situation is, in June?

Carole
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Denzil Cline is also near the ferry. They have a lot there and let people park there. The only issue might be some agencies will only rent out until 5 or 6 p.m. You could definitely return the car by then and still have dinner in Cruz Bay. If you wanted to try having dinner in Coral Bay and needed to return the car later, you could rent a car for days 3-5, and park the car at night in their lot when you take the ferry back to St. Thomas. That would allow you flexibility at least for days 3 and 4 as to where on the island you want to have dinner.