St John Questions

Dec 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

St John Questions

I'm considering St John. We loved visiting it when we stayed in St. Thomas.

Cannot afford Caneel Bay at all.

Looking into Garden by the Sea, Estate Lindholm or several 1 bedroom villas in the Coral Bay area.

Thinking of going Mon - Sat. end of april or possibly may depending on rental feels [some go down in april 15+ others may1].

Questions: the ferry. it's every hour on the hour every day of the week? want to make sure i'd make my flight home saturday form st thomas.

we'd take taxi from st. thomas airport to ferry. what about from ferry @ st john to a car rental place? anyone recommend one close and affordable? we'd love a jeep. [we rented on for the day last trip].

any cottages or villas you've personally stayed at? i'm hoping to be as close to or just under $1k as possible for the rental; seems possible off-season.

my only fear is that we'd miss having a pool and being able to grab a drink from a bartender, etc.

thanks for help.

trish
Dec 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Hi Trish,

We stayed at Garden by the Sea one year and the following year at Estate Lindholm. We preferred Estate Lindholm because we used the pool several times in the late afternoon, which was really nice. Also, they have a fridge and honor bar, so we bought our own pineapple juice and coconut rum, and fixed our own drinks for by the pool.

The price was good for both places. We are renting a villa for the first time at the end of June, but the price is going to be higher than the B&B's.

Can't help with the ferry times, sorry. Hope it works out for you--STJ is a wonderful place!!

Melissa
Dec 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

I found ferry information thanks.

Estate Lindholm sounds like it is preferred here. We do like b&bs...the villas sure look nice.

Who did you go through to get your villa?

Thanks.
Dec 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

Here is a link to the ferry schedules. You would have no problem getting to STT on Saturday. They do run every hour on the hour to Red Hook. Charlotte Amalie is less frequent. We go with whatever works best with our flights. I think most car rental places will meet you at the ferry dock. We traveled with some other forumites and Courtesy brought their car to the dock even though it was after 6pm. I don't really think one rental place is a whole lot better than another although their have been many debates over this on various forums. We have used Cool Breeze twice and didn't have any problems but they don't have a parking lot in Cruz Bay. If the rental places have a lot, they will usually let you park there when in town. Parking can be a bit of a challenge in Cruz Bay. We got a Jeep Wrangler for $72 per day. The Vitara's were $57.
Dec 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Guess I was typing at the same time as you .
Dec 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. $72 seems ok for a jeep.

Where do you stay?

Trish
Dec 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM

We stay at Gallow's Point. Thats why it doesn't bother me that Cool Breeze doesn't have a parking lot. We always walk into town at night or durimg the day for that matter.