Grand Cayman, Provo T&C or Anguilla

Dec 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Grand Cayman, Provo T&C or Anguilla

which island is best for a family with 3 kids - 10, 7 & 2 years old.
traveling late July.
we love nice beaches & good dining.
some exploring/sightseeing and a little shopping to break up the day.
we love Aruba & Mexico and like the Bahamas but not as much as the others.
So what do the Fodorites recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Dec 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Please add ST John to this list for comparision.
Dec 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Well, my personal preference and place we go every year is Anguilla.
But, having kids myself, I'd say the best place for a family would be Grand Cayman. It has a great beach, plenty of good restaurants and there is shopping there too. There is also the Turtle farm and Sting-ray city for the kids to enjoy. If I recall there is a submarine too that you can go down in.
That being said, I did see quite a few kids on Anguilla this year and they didn't seem at all bored. They swam and played on the beach. There seemed to be some organized kids stuff at our resort (The Cuisinart) this year too. I saw a group of kids on a treasure hunt this year. The beaches on Anguilla are breath-taking and the restaurants are extraordinary. Most all will make anything for the kids-you just have to ask.
Dec 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Grand Cayman.

I've been to all the places you've mentioned and GC will give you other activities besides the water ones. Provo, Anguilla and St. John are very quiet compared to GC.

You will get lots of good dining choices on GC, Provo and Anguilla. Not as many options on St. John.

You will get great beaches on all these islands, although if I would rank all of their beaches, GC would be at the bottom. Don't get me wrong... very nice beaches but not as great as the ones we saw on Provo, Anguilla and St. John.

Have fun deciding and planning.

Dec 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM

We have been to Anguilla and Provo, and will try Grand Cayman in April. Anguilla is amazing, but very quiet for 3 kids that age unless they really like to just play on the beaches. (Which are outstanding!) The restuarants are great in Anguilla, though, better than Provo in my opinion. Provo has a lot of construction going on, but has a bit more shopping and things to do. From what I've read, I would recommend Grand Cayman to you because of the kids and the activities you want to do. Have fun!
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Not a lot of sightseeing in Anguilla (flat, arid, scrubby island) and very little shopping (a few galleries & gift shops but very spread out). Great restaurants & beaches!
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the responses
How do the beaches & water color compare to each other?
which island is the most upscale and which one has the most typical caribbean feel to it in terms of it's appearance( palm trees, music, beach bars,etc)
so many nice islands and not enough time.lol.
thanks again!
Dec 7th, 2007, 04:14 AM

I have been to all 3 and based on your tastes and family, I would receommend GC. Great beaches, snorkeling and restaurants and things to do. 2nd choice would be T&C. And while I love Anguilla I think it may be a little to quiet/laid back. Kids might get bored if they are used to Aruba and Mexico. Though Anguilla has the best actual beach bars.
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks Kristen
GC may be the top choice right now.
how do GC's 7 mile beach & rum point compare to Aruba's Palm & Eagle Beach?
Dec 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Palm Beach and 7MB are pretty similar but the water clarity and snorkeling are superior in Grand Cayman. I also think Palm Beach is busier than 7MB.

Rum Point has no real comparison in Aruba. Rum Point is a smaller beach area with hammocks, a restuarant/bar and decent snorkeling.

One beach bar that I wasn't aware of or wasn't in existence when I was last in GC is definitely on my list time. It's called Calico Jacks and it's on 7MB (north end). I've heard many good things about it.

Where are you considering staying in GC?
Dec 8th, 2007, 04:11 AM

I agree that GC would be a perfect choice. The beach is beautiful and a lot less crowded than Aruba. Your kids will love it. My suggestion is to rent a condo from central 7 mile beach north. Go to www.caymanvacations.com for a good listing. This website rates the beach and snorkeling and some condos will even give floor plans.