Search

St John!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Billy

St John!!!!!!!!

We will be in St John next week and the week after......What are the must do's and the best places to snorkle and eat!????? Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
lou

Must visit Trunk for snorkling, Cinnamon and Hawksnest Bays. We didn't rent a car back in 1999 just took taxi's but I understand the prices went sky high so you're better off renting a jeep. Very Mountainous Island so be prepared for the steep hills. <BR><BR>Beautiful water and beaches and lots of opportunities to visit other islands like St. Thomas's Maegan's Bay or one of the British Virgin Islands for the day. Sorry I can't recommend more but the food was just ok in town and less than average at the Westin. Lime Inn Restaurant was pretty good but open air dining so it was hot.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 12:51 PM
Mary

Billy,<BR>I have to disagree that food was "just ok" on St John. Fine dining at Asolare, Paradiso or (my favorite) Chateau Bordeaux. Excellent meals at Morgans Mango, Lime Inn (Wednesday is Shrimp night and the Frozen Key Lime pie is awesome), Cafe Roma has good Italian, very reasonably priced.<BR>Very casual and fun are Duffy's, Woody's and the Beach Bar. Go to Miss Lucy's or Vie's in Coral Bay for excellent West Indian food. And don't miss the ribs at Uncle Joe's barbecue. It's not marked but it's the stand across from the post office in Cruz Bay.<BR>Snorkeling is ok at Trunk, very good at Cinnamon out around the little cay and of course Waterlemon Bay. <BR>Buy your self a copy of Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive from Amazon.com. Excellent guide to the beaches, hikes and snorkeling on St John. It will help more than you can imagine.<BR>Would you consider adopting me for your trip??? <BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Susan

Hi Billy! I would second Mary's suggestion to eat at the Lime Inn. Definitely worth it. Fabulous steaks and the owner is a fantastic host. We were on St. John in 1998 and stayed at the Westin. Ended up eating at the Lime Inn three times for dinner. Rented a Jeep for four days to explore the island and it was worth it. Trunk Bay is good for snorkeling. There is an underwater "trail" there. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Bill

From one William to another I recommend Hawknest Beach for snorkelling, serenity, and beauty. And I gotta agree that the Lime Inn is wonderful. Food was good and the staff made us feel welcome. Since you have at least 2 weeks (Man! Are you lucky!)on this island paradise you should rent a jeep and explore the island and its beaches day by day. Be sure to explore the Annanberg Plantation ruins...it is a sobering experience that the horrors of slavery existed amongst the beauty of St. John. Enjoy your trip and give us an update when you return so we can only dream of being there through your words! I forgot, avoid Cinammon Bay Beach in the afternoon because it tends to get very windy there and the sand really kicks up.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
hime

The Lime Inn is great. One time we were there and the owner with the hook hand hit my Mom in the head with the hook and he bought a round of drinks...he felt so bad but it really was kind of funny! <BR>I also like Stone Terrace and Chiily billy's for breakfast or a casual lunch spot.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Cathy

Best meal I had in the USVI - I would take a trip over to St. Thomas one evening and eat at the Hotel 1829. Great restaurant with very good food. The Rolling Stones as well as other famous people have stayed there. Eat on the Balcony.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:18 PM
traveller

HOtel 1829 is no longer in the restaurant business closing the dining room about a year ago after many years of not keep pace with the competition and falling off the great list years ago.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:27 AM
sharon

You have to look pretty hard to find bad food on St John. We never have had a bad meal there. Some of the best snorkeling that we found is at Salt Pond and Waterlemon. That's where we saw lots of turtles, stingrays, squid, etc. We rented a dinghy in Cruz Bay from Noah's Arks and cruised over to Waterlemon. It was incredible and highly recommended. You can also hike into Waterlemon - an easy, flat hike. Also, Salt Pond requires a short hike and is well worth it. I highly recommend you get your hands on the National Geographic map of St John and two great books - Feet, Fins and 4 wheel Drive and Off the Beaten Track. Be sure to spend some time in Coral Bay on the east end - eat at Shipwreck Landing (excellent) and snorkel off the beach at Haulover (very good coral formations). You're gonna have a blast!