Favorite spot on St John?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to St John in July and I've been doing a lot of research online and reading a couple of books. However there is nothing like word of mouth. If you've been to St John, tell me what your favorite spot was. It can be a beach, a restaurant, a hike, a snorkeling trip . . . anythng really. Just curious to hear about any things we should definitely not miss on our trip!!<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Lisa
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:04 AM

snowrooster,<BR>we were in St. John in 1998, and then again in St. Thomas and St. John in 2000 and we took two daytrips out. In 1998 we went on a catamaran over to Jost Van Dyke and snorkeled several places there and then several places around St. John, it was absolutely heaven. Then in 2000 we went on a power boat to Virgin Gorda(snorkeled),Cooper Island for lunch and Peter Island(snorkeled) for the day and it was another heavenly day. Both trips are memories I still treasure, and the latter one was with our two boys and they still talk about it. Please, please try to get out to another one of the islands while you are there, that part of the world is so very lovely, and eye candy like you wouldn't believe on top and under the water. We stayed at Caneel Bay and loved the convenience of having access to their many beaches day in and day out, and never having to leave the property to experience wonderful snorkeling. Safe Travel and have a wonderful time.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I too stayed and loved Caneel Bay and am planning a fifth trip this November. The beaches there are heavenly, beautiful and uncrowded. The privacy they give is difficult to find at other locations or on public beaches.<BR><BR>My favorite boat day trip was taken from there with Captain Cathy Packo. Her boat takes only six passengers. As a result it makes the experience more intimate. Her BVI trip includes snorkeling at Norman Island (swim-up caves), Indian Head Rocks. (lots of fish, beautiful coral, and terrific visibility) and a reef off of Peter Island. In addition, she is a marine naturalist, who swims out with you and points out interesting sealife. I had so much fun, I plan to do it again.<BR><BR>You can't go wrong with anything that you do on St. John.<BR><BR>Have fun.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Loungin

If you're going to St. John, do not miss going to Trunk Bay. This is one of the most beautiful beaches and areas of the Caribbean. Have fun.

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 01:06 PM

Snorkeling at Trunk Bay (go early or late to miss the cruise crowd) and Waterlemon Cay. <BR>Pull over to the side of the road on the way to Trunk bay and enjoy the view.<BR><BR>After a full day of whatever you choose, relax with a beverage (Bushwackers) at the the Beach Bar. if they still do Crab races on tuesday, be there.<BR><BR>Just remember to relax; don't try to do it all.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 05:09 AM

Time a visit to Maho Bay Camps to arrive an hour before sundown,get a drink,have a seat on the mountain side Pavilion and enjoy the sunset.You don't need to be a guest to enjoy the view and it's one of the better views on the island.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 03:40 PM

Trunk Bay, absolutely gorgeous setting with soft powder sand and clear blue water that sparkles. It is wonderful when it is not crowded but fun when it is. Just watch the expressions on the faces of the ship people when they first step on the beach.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:28 PM

Caneel does have beautiful beaches but try to see all the North shore beaches-they are the best ever. <BR> Eat at the Lime Inn and Joe's Barbecue and Shipwreck Landing and maybe Cafe Roma which wasn't as good as it used to be the last time but maybe we hit a bad night. <BR>Take the reef bay hike with a guide. You walk down and take a boat home. Extremely interesting hike. <BR> For day trips the baths on Virgin Gorda are very unique and White Bay on Jost Van Dyke had the whitest beach and best snorkeling I've seen anywhere.Have fun.<BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:00 PM

We adore St. John.... <BR>Our favorites were Vi's for conch fritters... it's a drive to the &quot;far side&quot; but worth every breath &amp; view.<BR>Must view Hurricane Hole... it's beautiful (from a photographers perspective)... loved burgers at Skinny<BR>Legs, the best on the island and while you're there check out Sysergy (sp?)<BR>Gallery w/ the cut glass art... just awesome! Make sure your vehicle is 4-wheel drive and purchase (before you get there so you can research where you want to adventure) St John, Off the Beaten Track by Gerald Singer... invaluable. <BR>We stayed in a private home, Beit Hawa, our favorite spot of all, which was quite private allowing for romantic naked quiet time on the deck between all of the exploring. We were 50 feet above the water on Rendevous bBy (actually Heart Bay). The sunrises were exqusite, and we had our choice of 4 decks or a hot tub by which to enjoy either the passing clouds (which we named as they flew by) or the glorious sunrises each morning over Ditleff Point. The hike out there was great! <BR>Don't miss a single minute while you're there.... it's simply heaven.<BR>Enjoy!
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 05:36 AM

If you're going in early July, the biggest attraction is the 4th of July Celebration. It is a week long party that ends on the 4th with a parade and fireworks!<BR>Ronnie
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM

I have to add to your list my favorite restaurant that I've ever encountered: &quot;Asolare&quot; Cruz Bay/St. John. It'll be in your guidebooks. Make a reservation for sunset, pre-order the chocolate pyramid flourless torte before dinner, and eat whatever the catch of the day is. WOW!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:21 AM

My favorite spot? Sitting at the wheelhouse at Skinny Legs at 1:30 in the afternoon, staring at CNN, but not watching it, a bright sunny day, feet covered in sand from Salt Pond Bay, sweating slightly from the warmth of the sun, drinking an ice cold Sam Adams, and a freshly cooked cheeseburger in front of me. When I run away from home one of these days, that is where you will find me.<BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM

When we were at St. Johns, Trunk Bay was so crowded that we kept on driving and wound up in Cinnamon Bay. Just beautiful! Only a few dozen people on the beach and the snorkeling was great!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:29 PM

I love to get up in the morning and drive the North Shore---the views are my favorite anywhere.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Park Ranger guided reef bay hike through the Westin and eating the filet mignon stuffed with brie cheese at the Lime Inn.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 10:36 AM

dinner at stone terrace... terrific
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Some great replies b/4 mine, but my favorites are snorkeling at Waterlemon Cay....make sure you go out and around the little island for best snorkeling.<BR>Happy Hour at Woody's, always an interesting experience. Sunset dining at Asolare. Lunch at Vie's Chicken Shack. Snorkeling with Captain Phil on the Wayward Sailor. If you are a snorkeling novice Phil will give you great tips and will snorkel with you and point out marine life.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Right on, zebertgrl!!! By far my favorite part of our trip to St. John was a sunset dinner at Asolare and that chocolate pyramid oozing warm chocolate...what a special place! <BR>Make sure you get a table outside, a must! <BR>We are going back to St. John in December for a wedding (second wedding we have been to there...my kind of couples!) can't wait!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice! Your posts really make me look forward to this trip . . . I can almost picture myself there now. I will definitely take your advice into consideration (we going to plan on Asolare for our anniversary dinner after all of the kudos it received!).<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Lisa
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Hawksnest Beach.We stayed at The Estate Lindholm.It is charming and quaint. It is also right next to Asolare restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -