Caneel Bay or Westin?

Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Mary Beth

Caneel Bay or Westin?

We are going to St. John for our 5th anniversary (without child) and having a hard time deciding between Caneel Bay or the Westin? Any input is appreciated.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Greg

What are you looking for?
Pool is better at Westin.
Beaches are MUCH better at CB.
Food is better at CB.
Rooms are better at Westin.
Service is better at CB.
Westin is cheaper in general.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
fyi

No brainer. Caneel is wonderful. Beachfront with some accomodations and the Westin doesn't hold a candle other than it has a pool but if you must Caneel now has a pool. With 7 great beaches who needs a pool. If it doesn't break the budget, the dining the setting the location the rooms the service the amenities put Caneel in a whole different catagory and price range for a good reason.

Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:55 PM
em

We stayed at Caneel in June and loved it. It is a beautiful property, with so much to explore. The rooms are nice, the beds are comfortable, the staff was always helpful---no complaints. We ate at Caneel and in town--good experiences all around.
What I like best is the quiet and non-touristy feel. Don't know much about the Westin except the beach is man made and that was enough to make me steer clear. A pool I have at home.

Sep 4th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Corey

I think you are trying to have a nice relaxing anniversary, Caneel is the place. The Westin is very nice and the heavenly beds are truly heavenly, but the resort often has many families, which mean lots of children running around. I have found the pool to be quite overcrowded, and the bar staff not that friendly. The resort, rooms, and property is very nice, but Caneel Bay is probably more what you are looking for. Why don't you stay at Caneel and head over to the Westin for dinner one night to check out the property for future reference, Chloe & Bernards is a wonderful spot for dinner, overlooking the property with a romantic setting and wonderful food.

Sep 6th, 2002, 06:39 AM
sharon

There is very little to compare. Westin, although nice, is nothing special. Caneel is just a beautiful place - go for it.