Sibonne Question

Sep 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Sibonne Question

We will be staying there in a few weeks....how easy is it to walk to resturants from there on the beach? I have heard that there are several within walking distance...thanks.
Sep 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Hemmingways at the Sands is right next door and very good. If you walk to the Sands and cut thru to the main road and walk east you will come to Danny Buoys an Irish pub which is fun and has good food. A litle further up at Salt Mill shopping plaza there is Jasmines which is Asian and Bambooze a sports bar. A little further from that (About 1/2 mile) is Ports of Call shopping plaza where there is Barefoot Cafe, Calico Jacks and 28 NOrth. All have good relatively inexpensive food. If you do it at night bring a flashlight as there are no sidewalks or street lights.
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Howard...are any of those the place where you eat barefooted?
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:26 AM

HowardC: We will be staying at RWI in November.....what in your opinion are the restaurants that we should not miss? I am particularly interested in your fine dining choices...... Thanks.
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Not Howard, but one restaurant that was recommended to us was Magnolia's. Its a cab ride from RWI, but its overlooking Turtle Cove and wonderful as sunset. Very good food, wine and service. We got there early and had drinks on the deck overlooking the bay. Very nice evening.

Ken

Sep 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM

LIZZIE--There are excellent restaurants in all price ranges on Provo. This woulld be my priority--Expensive--Coyaba at Coral Gardens (Our favorite), Magnolia Wine Bar and Restaurant at Miramar in Turtle Cove and Anacona at Grace Bay Club (Live music on Wed, Fri and Sat--Very romantic).. These will run about $150+ for two depending on what you drink, Moderately expensive--Bay Bistro at Sibonne (Have a drink at the bar and have Junior deliver it on his head.)--Coco Bistro--Dine under a canopy of palms and Aqua in Turtle Cove--The conch carpaccio appetizer and Pecan crusted conch are excellent. Hemmingways at The Sands is a nice spot for lunch. If you want to go really local go out to Blue Hills to Bugalloos for conch. A shack on the beach with lots of conch shells in front. Great conch. A little further down on the left is Three Queens which also has excellent crached conch. Your best bet is to rent a car so you can explore Provo go to the grocery store out to dinner etc. Cabs can get expensive.

KenHW--You can probably eat barefooted at Hemmingways and Barefoot cafe but if you are walking I would at least wear a pair of flip flops. Not a dress code at most restaurants but most men wear a shirt and shorts or long pants. I prefer long pants because sometimes mosquitoes can be a problem at night so try to keep as much skin covered as possible. Good idea to pack bug spray like Of or Skintastic.
Sep 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Thanks to both Ken_in_Mass and HowardC for the dinner recommendations. Trying out the restaurants on vacation is one of my favorite things to do. Now a couple of more questions....

1. Do you think the mosquitoes will still be bad in November? (I've never had a problem with bugs on any of the other islands I've visited at this time of year, so I'm not sure if it's the island, or the time of year.)

2. We were going to wait until we got to Provo before we decided to rent a car. Is this a good choice? We probably will not need it or use it the whole time....maybe 4 days or so.

3. Should we try to rent a car through the hotel (RWI), or try something else?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Normally the mosquitoes aren't bad but that depends on how much rain they.ve had and whether there is a good breeze. Have been in Nov and no problem but forewarned is forearmed. Most restaurants have Off,

We normally rent a car for a our stay. Coral Gardens has their own rental cars. Think if you compare the daily rate to the weekly it isn't much more to rent for the week. You might check with RWI as they might hava a deal with a rental agency. There is Hertz, Avis and Budget on the island as well as a few others. Hertz and Budget are at the airport. Found Tropical to be very expensive. www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the T&C might have car rental info.

Howard
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Thanks again HowardC! I hate to be a pest, but here goes.....how are Grace's Cottage and Jasmin for restaurants? You didn't mention them, but I saw them posted somehwere else. Are they worth trying?

We have already earmarked Coyaba, Anacaona, and Magnolia thanks to your suggestions and other reviews.

I have also found wherewhenhow.com to be very informative.
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM

You're not a pest--all questions are welcome. Happy to be of help.

Jasmines is located in the Salt Mills shopping plaza. Did not eat there in April but did look at the menu. It is basically asian influenced. Rather stark decor. Thought it was rather expensive. Entrees about $30-38. I would pick Bay Bistro, Aqua and Coco Bistro over Jasmines.

Did eat at Graces Cottage once several years ago. It is actually outside of the Point Grace Gates. Guess they don't want the touristas invading the property. Nice setting. The service was overly fawning to the point of distraction. Food good but nothing to write home about. At that time they couldn't even process a credit card at the restaurant. Had to go all the way to the main office. When I got my card statement I was double billed A couple staying at Coral Gardens went to Graces Cottage for dinner. Weren't impressed and finally asked for their meal to go and took it back to CG to eat on the balcony

Assume you read the recent trip report on this forum by someone who recently stayed at RWI re Mango Reef.
Sep 9th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Message to Lizzie: You will love RWI!!!We were there in April and found it one of the nicest properties that we have stayed at on any island. Hemingways was our favorite because you can eat outside and the food was reasonable and great.
A must for the BEST ribs and chicken
is Tiki Hut - Wed..GO EARLY!! I still think about those ribs here on Long Island. Have a great trip!!
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Thanks all! Can't wait to go.
Sep 13th, 2004, 01:43 PM
TG

We were at The Sands in late June and ate there every meal except one night at Danny Buoys (lousy food, uncomfortable atmosphere) and one night at Tiki Hut (okay food, nice people).
The Sibonne is conveniently located as you have learned by now. Hemingways at The Sands has a BBQ one night a week which is very good (the rest of their meals are decent too). It is an easy walk from the Sibonne. Grace's Cottage is also a fairly easy walk and is a very romantic atmosphere with good food.
We have been to Provo twice and have never had a real major problem with mosquitos - they are MUCH worse here in New England!
Good luck and enjoy Provo - we sure have!