serious snorkelers seek resort with onsite reef

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i are in our late 30s and desperate for a mid february caribbean snorkeling vacation on any hot island with little rain at a resort with it's very own quality reef in calm, clear waters abundant in diverse marine life, with an expanse large enough to hold our interest for the week.
although uncommon, an onsite "swim-up-to" living reef is key, as my health demands i stay close to the resort for frequent rests. this makes excursions/other site trips impossible, especially with my walker, although i can manage without if i stay on the resort.
the resort itself need not be ostentatious, but predicated on service and cleanliness. friendliness and animals are pluses. rooms require a/c, tv & minifridge. elevators/shopping/entertainment/activities/culture/nightlife aren't necessary, although supplying towels for outdoor use and a pool is a plus. all-inclusive is essential, however research indicates not typical, so if absolutely necessary we'd settle with onsite restaurants or restaurants within 10 min walking distance (then we'd need a kitchenette and close-by grocery & liquor store too).
traveling is manageable, so if the destination EXISTS, i CAN make the trip! ALL suggestions would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated! and many thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM

West Bay Beach, Roatan.
The Henry Morgan Resort.
Paradise Club.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thank you bellaboo. the henry morgan looks just like what we're looking for! we're going to research further though. i couldn't get much info about paradise club, they are owned by henry morgan too i guess and all the pictures are the same...

i stumbled across ANTHONY'S KEY RESORT when researching the HM and the dolphin experience. this hotel looks great if anyone knows anything about it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM

please. please. please. do not support the dolphin expeirence at Anthony's Key! I truly hope all such dreadful programs will be closed down in the near future. please do some research before supporting.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM

plus its not as convenient for offshore snorkeling...the reef is further out here.

ps i do hope u will take the time to research the nasty side of dolphin programs.....and hopefully never support them.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks, you're right about dolphins in captivity, absolutely deplorable. we'd prefer someday to observe sharks in their natural habitat someday. we hear you can do whale sharks in open water off utila from march to may (too late for our february trip), but then again i haven't done any research on that yet...

someone suggested the Bay Islands Beach Resort (but it's not on beautiful West Bay Beach, but rather more north). the reef is right out front on that resort too. have you heard anything about them, and if so, would you recommend that over the Henry Morgan? i can't decide...
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM

Hi!
I suggested Henry Morgan because I thought you wanted an all inclusive. If u do not...there are many lovely spots to choose from I believe. The reef runs the length of the island, but easy accesability from shore is from West Bay, that's why I suggested it over other locales. I'm not sure about the one u mention.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 09:56 AM

If you are agreeable to an AI resort, and you don't mind that there will be some kids around, you really need to look at Beaches Turks & Caicos. The water clarity is wonderful. GREAT snorkeling abounds right off shore in several areas. Swim out from the far left side of the resort (facing the water) perhaps a couple hundred yards, and you will find a nice little reef with all kinds of fish, including the passing turtles and rays. Continue swimming to the left and there is another reef. Continue to the left and you will get to the Coral Gardens reef that is very popular. Also right in front of the resort there are some fairly new reef balls that fish have started hanging around, though the coral isn't established yet. The snorkeling keeps us going back to this resort year after year (our 7th trip will be in May). This resort is top notch, and I can't say anything against it or the staff that takes good care of you. It has all the items you mentioned in your initial post. We are in our 50s and don't travel with kids, but they have never been a problem; unless you simply can't stand kids they are no problem. Water temp in Feb will be in the mid 70s; I don't know if you think that's too cold. Snorkeling trips off shore are also part of the AI. If you can motivate at all, I believe they would do everything they could to help you on the boat. We love the place, the staff, the amenities, the beach, the snorkeling, and everything else. Can you tell we like this place?
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

LUVvacation, thanks for your response! I'm going to check this place out right now.

question, when you say a couple hundred yards out, do you mean along the beach or out towards the sea? if out to sea..that seems very far out to see to snorkel i would be afraid of being carried away by currents or being hit by boats or getting too tired to swim back into shore. but if you meant along the shoreline, is it okay to go in front of other hotel and swim their reefs?

thanks again for the suggestion!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

still on the prowl. T & C coldest month is February, and Beaches is far too ostentatious for us (and therefore too expensive).

i will keep searching. i think i've narrowed it down to roatan or bonaire...if i can find the right resort. in the meantime, still waiting to hear back from the HM roatan. if anyone has any more suggestions about hotels, i'm still listening
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 04:09 AM

On West Bay Beach there are numerous smaller hotels(non-AI). Island Pearl is very sweet and intimate, with restaurants onsite and others closeby(very short stroll). It's on West Bay Beach, so u can swim out to the reef easily.....it's an option?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM

http://www.roatanpearl.com/
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 04:21 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...y_Islands.html
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 04:24 AM

I'm sure there are other islands out there with easy off shore snorkeling & hotels on same beach....such as Jalousie Plantation on St Lucia(but very expensive), Anse Castenet/ St Lucia(would be tough for you to get around as rooms r a steep climg up from beach). Antigua potentially....?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

i'm still prefering roatan over bonaire right now. the decision is between Sandy Bay and West Bay.

we're considering Sunny Vista Villas at Sandy Bay, it's right on Spooky Channel and looks like some nice reefs from 5 -30 feet deep right out from. it's away from all the action (fine with me) and i wonder if we would need to rent a car to get groceries/visit restaurants etc.

otherwise, West Bay sounds tempting. i hear the snorkeling is beautiful too, but more busy especially when the cruise ship comes in. The Pearl is more expensive but then, i'm not sure if we would need a rental car to get groceries/visit other restaurants...

any opinions out there?
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Yes...West Bay def more busy, thats for sure. It's pluses r the reef is closer and groceries etc. No need for a car.

Sandy Bay is nice, the reef is a tiny bit further...but prob in better shape, etc. Taxis to grab your groceries would not be expensive.

It's a win win!! lol

Did you look at Luna Beach Resort??
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Luna Beach is more geared to diving than snorkeling...what's good for the diver is not necessarily better for the snorkeler.

my husband is interested in swimming with whale sharks now. the season in utila doesn't begin until march but i don't know if we are going to wait. is that far from roatan?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:00 AM

It's not far...do-able in a day trip...with an excursion I suppose. Sounds wonderful! I saw it on NG once(how they come in there).
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Maybe Coco View REsort ...or did u say that one already, lol??!