Searching for small luxury resort that allow children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping someone has a great idea to help me out. I'm looking for a small luxury resort to take my family (kids 2,5 & 7). We are celebrating a "big" birthday for my wife, so it has to be pretty special. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM

You might try Peter Island or Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Islands - both lovely places and I think they accept kids.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Moondance Villas in Negril look really really special to me and I can definitely vouch for the beach in Negril!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I haven't been but the Four seasons in nevis might be what you're looking for.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM

I agree with emcash, Four Seasons, Nevis might be perfect for you. It has one of the best, if not the best children's programs in the Caribbean and while it's not a "boutique" resort it is set up in such a way that you'll feel it's very private and reserved. My second recommendation would be Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM

I second all of the previous suggestions and would also add Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada and Carlisle Bay on Antigua, two very different but luxurious hotels on the beach that allow children without necessarily catering to them.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Isn't it funny that some of the resorts here mentioned

Little Dix
Peter Island
Spice Island

Are on "The Knots" 10 favorite honeymoon resorts - If I was on honeymoon I wouldn't want small children around - Just my preference.

Yes, they do all allow children but it puts me off visiting the resorts if I don't take my "darlings" along with me, I don't want to listen to others "little darlings" although since my "darlings" are in their late teens, early 20's - they are adults.

I think in these hard times that resorts are more amenable, for example we stayed at Jamaica Inn which has a child policy but we saw children under 10 (very well behaved) staying at the property that we didn't expect would be allowed under their rules.

I know I sound mean but there are times that we all want to get away and have "couple time" and resorts having a policy that they don't follow is basically rude to those of us who chose the resort because of it's child policy.

kdwcaulder - I hope you find the right resort for you - your wife is very lucky
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:13 AM
iw

I was also thinking the Four Seasons in Nevis. We always see children and honeymooners there. What a nice island with the option of taking a day trip to St. Kitts.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:30 AM

i can second carlisle bay in antigua. Luxury, beachfront accomodations, great food and staff, nice shaded beach, calm water.....caters to families and couples surprisingly well. We started taking our kids away at about the same ages, and now as young adults they are usually willing, able and ready to go, being bitten by the caribbean "bug" at a young age. We return to antigua in june, with the kids following up later on in the week.....love the island and the people.

have fun,
alison
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Alya - I totally get what you're saying. But I don't think all honeymooners/couples feel that way. Some people are really delighted by children and seeing them having fun somewhere exotic can really be fun.

I don't really mind seeing a few children at a small boutique type hotel because it seems that most people that pick these types of hotels are "different" if that makes any sense at all - more conscientious....at least that's been my epxerience so far.

Being a parent of a small child I am very sensitive to "inflicting" my kid on others and usually we have a good sense of what she can handle. I would never take her to a resort with a no-kid policy. I simply wouldn't feel welcome and who wants to feel like that on vacation?

Funny enough the biggest mistake we ever made in that regard was taking her on 2 hour bat watching cruise in our home town! She was 2 (and acting like a 2 year old!) and the tour guide made it clear that he was unimpressed with us for bringing her. I was mortified and miserable the entire trip, but it was a boat and we were stuck

What I don't want on a vacation is a HUGE resort over run with kids! I wouldn't want that with or with out our daughter though! I like children in small doses
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:51 AM

All of the Ritz-Carltons and Four Seasons Resorts are "family-friendly."

One place I didn't see mentioned was Punta Mita, about an hour from Puerto Vallarta. Very nice.

However, of all of them, I would go to Little Dix Bay. It's truly sublime!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM

And Alya - I just read through my post and I think it may seem like I'm saying you don't like kids and that's not what I mean at all!

I think you should have the vacation you want and if that means no kids then so be it! I do get where you're coming from. We should all have our vacations on our terms!

I was just thinking of my cousin that is going on her honeymoon soon and she just LOVES kids and I can only imagine she would love to see some kids having a good time at the beach.

Also, I was thinking about how I saw all these cute kids at the museums in London recently having such a good time and learning so much. It just made my heart so glad
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM

"And Alya - I just read through my post and I think it may seem like I'm saying you don't like kids and that's not what I mean at all!"

Me neither - they are after all the future and I do agree that people who chose smaller resorts are generally thoughtful to ensure that their children don't disturb other guests.

Funnily enough I was looking into Little Dix and decided that it wasn't for us since they offer a children's program, Peter Island looks more attractive since they only take children over 8 unless you stay in one of their villas and they have no organized childcare.

I have found that adults can behave with much less thought than parents with small children
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied so far. I was suprised to get so many helpful responses...I've never posted a question before but sure glad I did. As the planning is usually done by my wife, I am just trying to figure this all out. Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM

It is not small, but it is luxury, and their kids programme is astoundingly good.. seriously, I am MOST impressed by it.... Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman and their "Ambassadors of the Environment" programme is fan-toodle-tanstatic
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Another suggestion: Malliouhana on Anguilla
I'm headed there myself with family (1&4, wife and in-laws) 4 wks from now

During non-peak periods, they offer a friends & family rate where you get a 2nd room included in a 5nt min stay: http://malliouhana.com/package_friends.htm

There's a pirate-ship playground/pool area (treat for the kids), a top-notch spa (bday treat for the wife) and world-class restaurant; besides being perched over beautiful Meads Bay. Anguilla has many other supposed terrific restaurants that I'm dying to try out.

Another family-friendly option on Anguilla is Cuisinart: www.cuisinartresort.com

Although I haven't been there yet, everyone seems to tout Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda, BVI, as evidenced above. And if it's any way similar to its sister Rosewood resort, Caneel Bay on St John, USVI (another fine family-friendly property which my fam has personally enjoyed), then you should have a fabulous time there as well.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 04:32 AM

Malli and Cuisinart in Anguilla would totally suit your needs.

Little Dix Bay is not overun with kids, quite the contrary, even with a kids club, it's a very quiet property.

Pink Sands Resort in Harbour Island Bahamas might work, although it's not luxurious in the upscale sense, it's fairly laid-back.

Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos, or Amanyara may also be a good fit.

Any of the Four Seasons would work for kdwcaulder-in Nevis or Exumas, Bahamas.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM

I think Peter Island may be a little "snooty" since you mentioned it.
My votes based on visits with and without our daughter are Little Dix, FS-Nevis