Looking for luxury resort with private villas/pools

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a major anniversary coming up and want to do something really special. We're looking for a truly luxury resort aimed at adults that has villas with private pools/gardens. (I know you can find these in asia - but can;t find anything here - and our time is limited so want to stick closer to home.) Any recos would be most appreciated?
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Check out Las Brisas in Acapulco, Mexico. Sounds like just what you are looking for.

http://www.brisas.com.mx/?method=hotel&idhotel=1
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:52 AM

There are actually quite a few excellent places with private villas in the Caribbean. One that I particularly like is Round Hill in Jamaica (it's also close enough to Montego Bay that you can go out to dinner since the resort has only one restaurant). Also consider the St. Regis Temenos villas in Antigua, but it's more of a villa experience than a resort. The Four Seasons Nevis is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and has villas with private pools, but it does have a strong family contingent, so there are likely to be kids on the beach and in the resort pool. I'd also recommend Sandy Lane in Barbados; the smallest room there is 900 square fee, so it's definitely villa-like, but I don't think there are private pools. The true villas at Little Dix Bay do have private pools. These are the places that come to mind off the top of my head; they're all really expensive, but they are all spectacular.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Sorry .. I mistyped. Temenos is in Anguilla, not Antigua.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Four Seasons Villas on Nevis - gorgeous
Necker Island, BVI's - mucho $$$
Golden Eye, Jamaica - private and secluded
Strawberry Hill, Jamaica - amazing views
Bel Air Plantation, Grenada - posh pampering
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM

i have 2 suggestions on st. lucia. ladera and oasis marigot both have villas with garden pools. i know ladera has the view of the pitons. om has only the villas but several come with a private cook avail. imho either would make a lovely place for a romantic trip.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM

A possible shortlist:

Horned Dorset Primaverra/Rincon-Agadilla/West Coast of Puerto Rico/short flight from San Juan

Cove Castles, Anguilla

The House, Barbados

Goldeneye or Strawberry Hill, Jamaica

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - will look into these places.

For any other thoughts:

Money is not really an issue - within reason (we're not Hollywood stars renting an island for $100,000 for the week - but if the hotel/villa is $20,000 or so we can live with it)

we really do want to avoid kids

we did look at private villas - but do want full hotel services (concierge, 24-hour room service, gourmet restaurant etc) and don;t want the responsibility of extra arrangements you always get with renting a villa.

Thanks again!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Try www.villacaribbean.com

Lovely villa in Nevis.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM

In addition to the ones already mentioned, Peter Island in the BVI has 2 villas with private pools and the Jamaica Inn near Ocho Rios has one cottage with an infinity pool. Also the White Suite at the Jamaica Inn, though it's not a stand alone unit, has a private terrace with it's own pool. Depending on the season, there can be families with children at Peter Island (most likely around the holidays). We were there during the fall, off season and didn't see any kids. The Jamaica Inn doesn't allow children under the age of 12.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I know you said you don't want a villa, but have you seen this place? It may just change your mind...

http://www.katitchepoint.com/
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Laluna in Grenada looks lovely
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:59 PM

nytraveler:
GO IMMEDEIATELY to http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregi...ropertyID=1519
Temenos Villas are outstanding!!! We prefer luxury resorts with private pools, also. But, this tops them all if you are looking at villas vs. resorts! Just spoke to Brian (manager) yesterday and he quoted me $2850 per night in June. Fabulous deal for the level of service. We have not stayed there yet, but plan to.
If you haven't looked at Cap Juluca 1 bdrm. with private pool, check that out also. I can personally vouch for it. So many resorts say they have pools, but they are actually SMALL plunge pools, Jacuzzi-size. But, Cap Juluca's are full size and VERY PRIVATE!!! We loved it! Their rate during this same time was approx. $990 per night. Penny can definitely help you with Cap info.
We are going to Jumby Bay next month and staying the JB suite with small pool. I will let you know.
Another place to check out is Cayo Espanto in Belize http://www.aprivateisland.com/index.html Now talk about private!!! Only 5 villas on the tiny island and I mean tiny.
Others:
La Casa Que Canta Mexico
Ikal del Mar Mexico
Altamer Antigua private villas
Villa del Sol Mexico

I'm sure I can thing of more, just let me know if I can help you further. I love this subject!!
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Cap Julucas pool villas are stunning--
and Temanos looks fantastic. Covecastles has some stunning new villas with large pools too. All on Anguilla.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM

BTW Katiekate-great rate at Temanos!
I wonder what rate you can get at Altamer?
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

After talking a little further we have definitelty decided against a private villa - we want an absoutley no responsability trip this time - with hot and cold running staff for everything.

We'll be looking into details this weekend - the trip isn;t unitl end of November - so we have a little time yet.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Some other suggestions for a place with a private villa that wasn't mentioned. One is the Four Seasons in Costa Rica. Brand new resort. My husband and I stayed there last summer and had a private villa with a pool. They have SEVERAL private villas. VERY nice. You can't go wrong with a Four Seasons. Another one is the One and Only Ocean Club in the Bahamas. We stayed there last year as well. The celebrities stay there when vacationing. That is where Cindy Crawford and Randy Gerber were married. WONDERFUL place with NO KIDS..and they have several private ocean front villas that are DIVINE.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM

nytraveler - the villas at Four Seasons have all the amenities and services of the resort, room service, maid service, etc. So it would be like being at the resort, but with more privacy. I just returned from Nevis yesterday actually. I have stayed in a suite at the FS also it was wonderful. I highly recommend it. Great spa, lots to do on the property and lots to do around the island.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Azoria- Please tell me more about Ocean Club Bahamas. When I last checked about rooms with private pools, they didn't offer any. I will have to check their website again.
I visited it way several years ago while vacationing with the kids at Atlantis (aka the Bahamas Disney world!), before it was owned by One and Only. Pretty impressive property.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Another place to consider is Cala Luna hotel and villas in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. You can check out their website at www.calaluna.com We stayed in a villa there 5 years ago & it was awesome. They have 2 bedroom villas with private pools for reasonable rates, especially in the summer season. However, it's part of a hotel so there is regular maid service etc. The only drawback is that it's a 10 min walk to the beach. On the good side, you may see some monkeys in the trees on the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -