Search

Sands or RWI

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
pqm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sands or RWI

Going to Provo in June to relax and dive. Have narrowed choice to Sands or RWI. Can anyone recommend specific rooms? Just my husband and I so will probably get studio ocean view or garden view if ocean can still be seen.
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM

We stayed at RWI in a oceanview studio at the end of March. A woman who works in reservations said building 4 has the best view of everything - grounds, pool and ocean. We stayed in room 432 (building 4, floor 3, 2nd room from the right). It was gorgeous. I can email you a picture (in about a 2 weeks) of the exact view.
RWI is fantastic....we loved it. The Sands looked nice too - we went there for lunch one day. When we return we will stay at RWI again.

Grace Bay is beautiful...you will love it!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:24 PM

I just got back from Provo last night and didn't stay at either resort but wish I had stayed at the Sands. I loved everything about it. I met some people staying at RWI who liked it but said they wouldn't stay there again because of all of the noise from Club Med next door.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Cindgail - where did you stay? And was this your first trip to Provo? Lastly, did you do any day trips that you could recommend. We are returning the end of June and can't wait so I'm bugging everyone I see who returns from their T&C vacation. ;0)
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Hi MuyLinda - I stayed at the Alexandra. I had a great room facing the ocean but wouldn't recommend the resort until it's done. It offers little else right now. The Orchid Bar there did have the best conch fingers! I took the Iguana Island/Snorkeling trip with Silver Deep and enjoyed it. If you go, ask for a trip with Pringles. Also took a sunset cruise with Sail Provo. They did a great job. Both companies will pick up and drop off. Took a 2 hour taxi tour including a trip to the conch farm (very interesting) with Sonny's Taxi Service. Sonny's Uncle Hilton was my driver. I used their service all week and would highly recommend them. Sonny - 231-0658 Hilton - 241-2377
You MUST go to Coyaba while you're there!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Ted

We've been to RWI several times, most recently we stayed in 423 It had a peek of the ocean and nice view of the grounds for the botanical rate! I think Sands and RWI are very comparable, along with OCW. It seems construction is in full swing on both sides of OCW, so go for the best rate at Sands or RWI.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Who are you diving with? If you can dive with Caicos Adventures and Fifi!Great dive master,been diving 18 years had my best experiences in november with him. Try to get out to French Key
lots of sharks and dolphins! When in Provo (4 times ) I have always stayed at the Ocean Club great place. If you like native food try Smokey's on the Beach in Blue Hills great food and cheap! If you need any more info E-mail me at [email protected]
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM
pqm
Original Poster

Leaving on Tues. Thanks for all the responses. I was leaning towards the Sands but with the price difference ended up at RWI. Hope to get one of the requested rooms!!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:31 PM

All of the ocean front rooms at RWI are currently booked for my November dates. I got a quote for an oceanview room, which seems very reasonable. My only question is.....I am an ocean front type of person (so I'm very disappointed by the lack of availability)....will I be satisfied with an oceanview studio at RWI? Also, I can "request" a certain building or floor, but there is no guarantee I will get my request (not unusual anywhere you go). I have read that building 1 is great for the ocean front rooms. Should I request a particular building for a better oceanview studio? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:02 PM
kendall

What are your dates in November? Do you want a studio suite or 1 bedroom suite?

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 05:48 AM

We are going from 11/9 -11/16 and are looking for a studio. We could swing a one bedroom if we wanted.....but we just never really fully use all the space.

(On a side note, there was no availability at Coral Gardens, no availability at T&C Club, the Sands had ocean front rooms available, but it was $800 more and we really didn't want to stay there.)

So, will I be satisified with oceanview? And if so, which building should I request? Thanks for any tips...
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Ted

Buildings 1 & 2 are the closest to the water. The third floor would have the best views but 3rd floors do not have cover from the sun (which is importatnt to some people) so I would chose 2nd floor of either building.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 04:39 PM
kendall

I found a private owner who is renting his 1 bedroom condo on viviun.com and vacationrentals411.com for $1795/week. I believe this is the same rate charged for a studio suite if you book with the resort. I also found another site, www.vrbo.com (private owners who rent) that is charging the same price for his 1 bedroom condo but I believe your dates are booked. There is another person renting their studio suite for approximately the same price as the 1 bedroom.

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM
kendall

The 1 bedroom on viviun is on the 3rd floor, I believe the 1 bedroom and studio suite on vrbo is on the 2nd floor.

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM

lizzie, we were at RWI in june and stayed in an oceanfront studio. There are three studios bookended by two one bedrooms on each floor. The studios are fine. Everything you need including washer and dryer. In my opinion the oceanview rooms on the third floor would be better. Better views. The vews from those rooms are the most similiar to bldg. one
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Kendall: Thanks for the info. Currently, RWI is offering the 4th and 7th nights free if you book before 8/31/04. So we were able to get the oceanview studio + airfare (2 people)for a total of $2280. I'm not particular so much about the studio vs. the one-bedroom. I am more concerned about oceanfront vs. oceanview.

ktebe: Thanks. I will definitely request the 3rd floor (sun won't bother us - but thanks for the info from the other poster).....will try to get building 1 or 2.

Any other comments from those in the know?
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Lizzie, who are you flying with to T&C? I'm surprised the T&C Club had no availability. I was hoping they would offer 50% off in November like last year. I guess they don't need to now that everyone is salivating over the island.

Is the water temperature going to be warm enough to swim, not to mention the air temp?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:05 AM

I have quotes for either American (cheapest) or USAir (better flight times..slightly more expensive), but it looks as though I will go with American based on USAir's impending bankruptcy.

I don't recall seeing any kind of promotion on T&C Club's website....I believe they had availability on the weekdays, but were solidly booked on the weekend. Cannot recall 100%.

I haven't seen anything to date that would lead me to believe that the weather would be cold, or that the water would to be too cold for swimming. I have been to the Bahamas around this time of year and didn't have any issues with either. Any comments from somebody more in the know? It seems like quite a few of the Provo accomodations have been booked, so I'm assuming it's a desirable time to go.