Provo hotel decision! pls help

Jul 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Provo hotel decision! pls help

Hi I'm tryin to decide between Alexandra and RWI, for our 5th anniv. It sounds like RWI is more pretty? And Alexandra says their construction is limited to interior manual labor now. I'm fron NYC so I really don't wanna risk hearing one little hammer on vacay! But I'd love something beachfront for closer to 2k than 3k for a week. I'd love your advice, I'm also wondering about villas. Also, I'm lookin into owner direct rentals, if anyone knows a good place pls email me? [email protected] THANKS!
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Hi. Just stayed at Alexandra by booking through VRBO. I'll try and dig out the VRBO number and send it to you. We have found VRBO to be a fabulous resource for renting directly through owners and have been pleased every time we used it. The Alexandra is a very nice property - although we were not oceanfront we could see the water from the porch, where we ate our breakfast every morning and had a cocktail in the evening. We did not have any problems with noise from construction, and it sseemed hat the construction work was internal work. (We were there last month.) We were out of the unit for most of every day because we went snorkeling so noise, if there was any, was never an issue. The Alexandra is really close to the two main snorkeling spots, so that was an advantage for us.

You will have a great time by staying in either place. The beaches are gorgeous, and there are many great restaurants. If you need any more info, just let me know. I wish I could go back tomorrow!
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I stayed at RWI earlier this year and am returning to Provo in December and staying at the Alexandra (I liked RWI alot but found a great deal at the Alexandra, which was on on my short list before). I think the two properties are fairly comparable overall. I loved Provo, but I have to warn you, that you may see and/or hear some construction at either place. At RWI, there is construction one property to the west at the Grace Bay Club (building two new Estates buildings). Some people are more sensitive to construction noise than others, so if hearing any construction noise is going to ruin your vacation, you might want to think about another resort or even another island. The Sands is another resort that is in the same price and quality range as RWI and the Alexandra and does not have any construction around it now.

Labradormomma,

Just curious about whether you noticed what was going on with the construction at the property (the Veranda) to the west end of the Alexandra. I assumed your reference to construction being inside was related to the Alexandra building under construction (on the east side of the property). Thanks!
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:17 AM

We are scheduled for end of March at RWI... should we be major concerned about this noise? It's our 20ieth anniversary.... thanks.
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Jodylee,

If it was my post that caused you to be concerned about the construction, it was not my intention to make people panic about the situation. A lot of RWI guests don't notice any construction noise, some like me notice some noise but don't find it to be a major annoyance, and then there is the third group that is really bothered by any noise. Given the level of construction during my visit, I would think that the third group would be pretty small.

Anyway, there is a lot of discussion about construction on the TripAdvisor T&C forums for anyone who wants more information.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
RJC

We were at RWI in April 2007; stayed in a privately owned 1 bedroom suite unit found it on vrbo.com. I was a bit leary to rent direct but ended up working out really well. It was a second floor unit; couldnt see the beach but very short walk from where our unit was to the beach. We had garden view. Weeks rental was $1,800 and well worth it. Beautifully landscaped property, great beach. Unit number was #424. Plenty of room in the suite; we have 2 small boys who slept on the pull out couch in a separate room from our bedroom; full kitchen etc; nice big balcony. There seems to be construction going on in quite a few places; not that it bothered us any though. T&C is a beautiful island; just like many other places, it is booming a bit. The construction had no impact on us though.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM

Beachdreams3 -

To answer your question..
Yes, there was construction going on at the Veranda site to the west of the Alexandra. There is a lot of new development on T&C in many locations. The only time we were really aware of construction noise was at the beach by the reef at Coral Gardens, directly in front of a property that was under construction to the right side of the reef. Once you were in the water you couldn't hear anything. The times we put our towels to the left of the reef we weren't aware of construction noise. It just wasn't an issue on our trip.