Reload this Page >

Sailing Certification in B.V.I.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:56 PM
tom & lynnette

We want to sign up for a sailing certification course on a sailboat in the B.V.I. Our ultimate goal is to learn to sail, navigate, and eventually charter our own boat. Has anyone had any experiences with<BR>the onboard sailing instruction offered in the B.V.I.s? We don't want to choose without knowing a thing about the businesses who offer this.

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:03 PM
cheryl

We went through off-shore sailing which charters a boat through the moorings. The boats are in excellent condition and we were given a sailing instructor for about four days and did the last day and night on our own. We were paired up with another couple. I would highly recommend this company for the most part and I had only a few personal issues in the end. It was a great experience.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Patty

We went thru Lanier Sailing Academy www.laniersail.com a company based out of Georgia. They offer a one week bareboat certification course (also includes basic coastal sailing certification if you don't already have that) in the BVI from Nov thru June. We shared the boat with 3 other couples. Would highly recommend them.

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Joan

Lanier Sailing Academy uses Sea Dog Sailing, Inc. which is based in Atlanta, but holds their classes in the BVI. Excellent instructors and the 6 day courses are very thorough. Depending on how much experience you have on boats already, you can achieve up to three certification levels during that time if you really work hard. I highly recommend these folks from personal experience.

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Patty

Joan, do you know how long ago they started using Sea Dog or have they always used them? I went on that site and the instructors didn't look familiar.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Abby

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I did our sailing certification with Sea Dog Sailing (www.seadogsailing.com) a few years ago. At the time, Bob and his wife Lana were the captains/owners of the business. We had a fabulous time!!! And we were certified enough (Coastal Cruising and Bareboat Chartering) that we were able to rent a sailboat with four non-sailing friends six months later. It was amazing to captain our own ship for a week in the BVI's. I believe that Bob and Lana retired to their own awesome refinished sailboat, thereby leaving the business to the new captains. So, while I can't vouch for the new captains, I can vouch for the business and the experience in general. <BR><BR>One piece of advice...see if you can get certified with Basic Keelboat prior to going on a trip. You will learn the basics on a smaller boat and will get the feel for it better. Then when you get to the BVI's and start to sail on a much bigger boat, you'll have some of the lingo and skills down. This approach made us much more relaxed for our BVI vacation/learn to sail trip. We did our Basic Keelboat out of San Diego, and made a fun three-day weekend out of it prior to our BVI trip.<BR><BR>Have fun, I am very jealous and can't wait until the next time we sail around the Caribbean!

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Patty

Abby,<BR><BR>Thanks for the clarification. Bob was our captain at the time too. <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:26 PM
George

Call Angie or Sarah @ BVI Yacht Charters in Road Town. I've chartered with them the past two years with exceptional results. They have ASA instructors that are extremely capable and most important, personable!<BR>Smooth Sailing<BR>George

Old May 25th, 2002, 02:50 PM
marc and kathy

we've chartered out of Horizon yacht charters BVI twice.<BR>The first time we had lessons for 5 days then took the boat for another 5 days alone....that was a 32 ft.<BR>we went back 6 months later and chartered a 46 ft....loved it.<BR>have lots of advice for you.