By the Cabin Yacht Charters - BVI

Mar 26th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

By the Cabin Yacht Charters - BVI

Has anyone ever done the "By the cabin" yacht charter with a company such as Dream Yacht Charter in the BVIs? You are essentially paired up with 2-3 other couples on a catamaran and sail to different islands in the BVIs for 8 days - 7 nights. My wife and I really want to charter a boat for a week in the BVIs but don't have other couples to throw in on for a decent sized boat. Of course the fear is we get stuck with some weirdos on the boat for a week but I imagine the cost of the yacht charters weeds out the riff raff. Also is there any flexibility on the schedules that are preset?
Mar 26th, 2018, 08:28 AM

I did a couple of trips like this in the BVI and in the Grenadines with the Moorings. On the BVI trip, it was just us and our friends with the crew, as no one else had signed up. That was awesome! On the Grenadines trip, we got stuck with 2 couples we didn't know, both of which were more than twice our age; one couple was truly awful, and the other couple was inoffensive. Not quite the trip of our dreams! It's potluck, but if your choice is doing the trip or not doing the trip, I would do it. After all, I've done many, many bareboat trips, and sometimes the crew of my own choosing turned out to be not-so-great. You just never know how people will behave in an environment like a yacht charter.
Mar 26th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Very true, I guess I would be ok with old people on our boat (we are both 30) but I dread if it is a family bringing kids along. I imagine that most of the people that book charters in the BVIs are 45+ since it is not cheap. I figure college aged kids or even couples in their 20s can't afford it. I happen to have landed a good job at a young age so we are somewhat the exception. What was awful about the couple that was twice your age? Did they smell?
Mar 26th, 2018, 06:12 PM

RollTide_Houston (the OP) said, "Of course the fear is we get stuck with some weirdos on the boat for a week but I imagine the cost of the yacht charters weeds out the riff raff."

Sorry to disillusion you, but cost will only eliminate the poor, not the riff raff,
Mar 26th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

You definitely have a point there.
Mar 26th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Also if anyone has done these charters in the Exumas or Abaco please speak up I would love to hear about your experiences there. I feel like the Out Islands in the Bahamas will have beautiful water but may be even less populated than the BVIs.
Mar 27th, 2018, 02:53 AM

I did my first crewed charter in my 20s, so they are not exclusive to the 45+ crowd. What was awful about one of the couples we were saddled with was not their age, but their prejudices and attitude and domination of all conversation (where they spewed their prejudices).

I've done a lot of sailing in the Out Islands -- several charters in the Abacos, as well as sailing my own boat in the Out Islands for 4+ months (including the Abacos, Exumas, Eleuthera, Cat, etc.). The Bahamas are stunning; I much prefer them to sailing in the BVI. However, at least pre-2017 hurricane season, the BVI had a lot more amenities for boating visitors. With the exception of the Abacos, the Bahamas Out Islands don't have much infrastructure. But that's your crew's problem, not yours.
Mar 27th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information. I assume by infrastructure you mean docks, ports, etc? Did you prefer Abacos or the Exumas?
Mar 27th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

I have narrowed down my choices to BVIs, Exumas, and Abacos. After some reading it seems BVIs or Abacos may be the easier choice (though the ability to fly direct to Nassau for the Exumas trip is very appealing). A lot of people say the Exumas are extremely beautiful but really lack civilization and I am not sure my wife will enjoy that as much as I will. If anyone can point to their favorite of these three that would be great.
Mar 28th, 2018, 05:05 AM

Personally, I prefer the Exumas, but I love them for the seclusion. There are no restaurants, bars, shopping or anything else to speak of, except a handful of spots. If you are looking for something with a little more activity, the Exumas are not for you.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 08:36 AM

We've just come back from a chartered trip - but we are a family of 5 people, so we had the entire boat. We flew into St. Thomas (USVI) and then sailed to the BVI's and back.

We loved it. Had a great trip. The captain and his wife and the crew - they were awesome, a lot of fun, and good people.

Honestly, I don't know if I would want to do it with other couples I did not know. It is close quarters if you have different travel styles. What if one person is up at 6:30 (with the sun) and ready to go and the others sleep until 9am? You've lost 2 hours ...

Maybe aim for middle ground - pick a nice resort for a few nights and a charter for 3 or 4 nights so you aren't committed the entire time?