Search

Galapagos--Explorer's corner, sea kayaking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos--Explorer's corner, sea kayaking

Hello,

We're planning to go to the Galapagos in January 2006 for our honeymoon. One of our favorite activities to do together is sea kayaking, and we would like to go on a trip that focuses on this. We've found one company so far--Explorer's Corner--that fits the bill. Their boat is the Ahmara. Does anyone know anything about this company?

Does anyone know of any other companies that FOCUS on sea kayaking and being active? Not just boats that have a couple of kayaks that, if you're lucky, no one else will be using. Of the boats that do have a couple of sea kayaks, has anyone toured with them? And if so, how much time were you able to use the kayaks and where were you able to paddle? Is the only available time when you're anchored away from the islands? We really want to be able to paddle up close to the islands, looking at the cliffs, caves, tide pools, etc.

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, Jen, did you book this yet?

I would be very careful about a trip that claims to use this boat. Especially for a honeymoon. I say claims, because there have been problems in the past with it. We had real problems with a trip that was supposed to use it, and with the company/travel agency that owns this boat. (Basically, they misled us, didn't deliver and substituted a really crappy old boat (that appeared to be a old fishing boat, not a boat for luxury tours--and not a sailboat either) for only part of the time. The rest of the time we were stuck on land.

While hanging around the local bars,(remember, we were stuck on land) we picked some local gossip, too. Locals said the boats owner had financial problems so it was no surprise that the boat had problems and was unusable...and no surprise that no one else would provide a boat to them as a substitute.

There were also problems with the kayaking equipment that was available. Several of the boats were nonop, and so there were not enough boats for everyone to kayak!

I know people who use and recommend this outfitter, but my experience with their Galapagos trip was not good. They simply don't know enough about managing trips in this area to do it well. (Their expeditions are a different story.)
The local operator who manages it on the ground for them is really bad.

The whole trip was a disaster, and not a well handled disaster at that. A real letdown given that this is billed as a luxury trip. Caveat emptor!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I think. Yes, we already booked this trip. I do hope that the company that you're talking about is the company that owned the Ahmara before. The company we're going with hasn't owned this boat for very long. They've been very good over the phone. Very prompt. The trip was written up on paddling.net, and I doubt they would have done so if it were the old, crappy boat you talked about. At least I hope so!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM

Hi Jenstemp,
If the Ahmara has changed hands, it would be very good news! Feel free to email me at ddgattinaREMOVETHIS(at)yahoo(dot)com..I might have a few tips about dealing with Quito and the Galapagos trip.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
wmo

Hi Jenstamp
We just booked this same trip with Explorer's corner. Did you ever end up going? It sounded wonderful. Would you please let me know if you liked it.

Thank you.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM

Hi-
I've been researching going to the Galapagos too. Some of the kayaking trips I've heard about are:
O.A.R.S. (www.oars.com)There was feedback in this forum or Frommer's forum.
Also there was an article in the NY Times in January '06 about Rivers Odysseys West (www.rowinternational.com)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM

Here is the NY Times link to the River Odysseys West tour that I mentioned in my previous reply.
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/01/0...galapagos.html