chartering sailboats in Tortola

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,<BR>does anyone have experience with the charter companies out of Tortola? We have dealt with Footloose in the past but will be needing a boat larger than what they have in their fleet. Any info would be appreciated.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:03 AM

I have charted with Sunsail all over the World and always found them OK. Boats always recent model and everything works.<BR>Have a &quot;painkiller&quot; at Pussers Sunset Bar on Marina Cay. One of the best spots in the World for a sundowner.<BR>Greybeard
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM

If you've chartered with Footloose, it's a natural step across to Moorings (www.moorings.com), which is a sister company. We've had great experiences with them with boats anywhere from 35-50 feet. I'm surprised, however, that you are looking for a much bigger boat than Footloose has to offer, since we sailed a Footloose M445 a couple of years ago, and I've known them to have 50-footers as well (can't get much bigger than that on a bareboat monohull). You will find that the Moorings fleet has bigger cats, however.<BR><BR>Also, if Moorings is too pricey, I would suggest checking out TMM (www.sailtmm.com). We've used them in Belize and found them to be outstanding. No reason to believe the Tortola experience would be any different.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We will have 12 people this year so Footloose and Moorings can't accomodate us this time around!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM

Dogslife, you would be hard-pressed to find ANY bareboat charter company that has boats big enough to accomodate 12 people (the Moorings' biggest boat, their 6200 catamaran, only has 4 cabins, and that is a crewed boat; the most cabins that Moorings offers is 5, and I believe that is true of all of the other charter companies as well). You MAY be able to find a large enough CREWED boat -- check with a broker like Sherry Yates or Ed Hamilton (check www. traveltalkonline.com for more info on charters and brokers). Most groups as large as yours take out a pair of boats if they are planning to bareboat.