Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Everyone with experience in that???a "crewed" (captain & chef) charter sail around the British Virgin Islands???Any idea???

Search

Everyone with experience in that???a "crewed" (captain & chef) charter sail around the British Virgin Islands???Any idea???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any experiences? We are looking for this one. We are calling around to find something good...any idea??? Do you have experienced that?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Did that last year and had a wonderful time. Can very highly recommend a charter boat (catamaran) and crew, but they might not be right for you, depending on personal preferences. I would really suggest that you contact a yacht broker who will match you to the right boat and crew for you. This costs you nothing as the broker fee is paid by the yacht owners. We used Sherry Yates of www.yatesyachts.com . She is absolutely wonderful - a true delight to deal with. Please let me know if you'd like me to send you a privat E mail with more info.

Linda
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Please Linda,
We are really thankfull if you can give us some advices.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Nobody is picking the phone at www.yatesyachts.com...
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Sunnyboy

If you do a google search for "Yacht Charters - British Virgin Islands" you'll find links to literally 100 different websites for yacht brokers and individual yacht owners offering crewed charters around the BVI's. For starters check out The Moorings (www.moorings.com). They are perhaps the largest and most well known yacht brokers in the Caribbean (in fact they do world-wide charters).

On most of the web-sites you'll find pictures of the different yachts, full descriptions of the boat and amenities, sample menus, suggested itineraries, rates, etc. In short the web-sites will answer just about every question you might have.

As far as selecting a boat you will have two main choices; 1) a traditional sailboat or 2) a catamaran. Generally speaking the "cats" have more spacious deck area and sail more "upright" than the traditional sailboat. As to which one is "better" - well that's been an ongoing debate between sailors ever since the "cat" was invented. For fist time sailors or those who are not all that comfortable on the water the cat is probably the better choice.

If it's just two of you sailing (plus the crew) I'd suggest you look at boats that are 40' to 45' in length.

Also, when selecting your boat and checking prices make sure you are looking at "crewed" charters and not "bareboat" charters. One other hint , some boats will be crewed with a captain and a chef while others will come crewed with a captain and a cook. There is a difference, the cook will prepare only basic foods while a chef will give you gourmet quality meals. Choose the one that's right for you.

Once you make your reservations, you will receive a lengthly questionnaire asking about your eating and drinking requirements, what you think you'd like to do on the cruise, etc. They will then tailor the provisioning and itineray to suit you. The great thing about a crewed charter is that you set the pace and each day the captain will take you wherever and whenever you want to go. It's a lot of fun planning the day's activities.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much sunny
For taking your precious time to answer me. I really appreciate it. Your suggestion was very very good. We are working very hard to find the perfect one ...it's hard...so many possibilities...But, I am almost sure we will have great hollydays. thank you.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Sunny, I would not like to be indiscret but, you have a lot of experience. and you are great taking your time to responde and help us. Are you moderating for fodors.com or are you
living in the caribbean and just comparting your experiences...
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Sunnyboy

Don't let the number of possibilites confuse you. Start with one or two yacht brokers, look at the boats, pick the ones that looks best TO YOU and that's in your price range. This will help narrow your choice. Pretty soon, you'll be ready to make your selection. When I did my charters we narrowed our choice down to the three boats that looked pretty to us then made our final choice based on the chef's sample menu. I have friends who made their choice based on the color of the boat. The point I'm trying to make is there's no right or wrong choice, if you deal with a reputable yacht broker you'll have a great time regardless of the boat you pick.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Sunnyboy

No, I'm not a moderator. I've been travelling to the Caribbean for over 20 years and I'm now fortunate enough to have a home on one of the Leeward islands (but I won't reveal which one). I spend about half the year in the Caribbean and I love to island hop.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM

sailorina,

I will send you a private e-mail. But, send Sherry an E-mail. Hers is a very personal operation and she travels frequently to boat shows all over the world so that she can be familiar with the boats and crews she offers. She's far more likely to respond to E-mail on a weekend. But, I have to warn you that it may be difficult to get hooked up with a charter on very short notice.

Linda
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sunny, You are a very lucky person )