Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Harbour Island -- anything reasonable?

May 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I'm about to book a trip to Harbour Island in June. As it's off-season, I've gotten some good prices and I'm very much looking forward to seeing this beautiful beach and relaxing.

I've been to several islands where the restaurant prices are astronomical -- Anguilla, for example. But we were able to find low cost alternatives -- local places, delis/bakeries for lunch, etc. I'm not really looking to double the price of the trip via food.

Will I be able to find such inexpensive places in Harbour Island? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Lynne
May 22nd, 2008, 12:36 PM

I found that alot of places were closed on Harbour Island in June when I went. But I did like Ma Ruby's -- just don't have your heart set on a cheeseburger because chances are they won't have any. They will have grouper burgers which I did enjoy.
May 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM

Angela's Starfish!!!! Highly recommend. For fun, bring a business card if you have one and post it on the wall.

Also, the takeaway stand at the ferry dock has good conch fritters.

Funny, jecrow, I was unable also to get a cheeseburger at Ma Ruby's - because we arrived at 2:30 and they were closed. So gold75, if you have one, be sure and let us know how they were!
May 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM

That's hilarious. Isn't Ma Ruby's supposed to be famous for the cheeseburger?
May 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. My boyfriend loves cheeseburgers so we may have to make it a quest. Will report back.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM

There are a few restaurants and take away spots on island, and there's even a pizza joint "downtown". There's also Arthur's and Miss Mae's Tea House for lunch. Arthur's is also an internet cafe so you can stop for breakfast (they do the BEST pasteries and MY FAVORITE is the coconut bread). I buy bread in the am, get a 6 pack of diet coke and that's my lunch for the day, lol.

There are a few new spots on island as well, so just ask around when you get there.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a GREAT TIME.