Eleuthera: can you get to Harbour Island easily?

Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Eleuthera: can you get to Harbour Island easily?

I am thinking about staying on Eleuthera for the peace and tranquility it seems to offer. However, my husband is a little worried that we'll be bored. Is it easy to get to Harbour Island or other places with more things to do?
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM

I posted this on your US board thread.

If you are staying on the north end of Eleuthera you can drive to the pier to take the 5 minute ferry to Harbour Island. Eleuthera is around 100 miles long so it really depends on which airport/area you are staying.

If you are needing a lot of outside entertainment, such as clubs, dancing, etc. you're looking in the wrong place. However, Harbour Island has a lot more restaurants to choose from than Eleuthera and is accessible by walking or golf cart. On Eleuthera you would definitely need a car for exploring.

You may want to post this on the Caribbean board for more info. And, search for other threads on Eleuthera and Harbour Island. There are many!
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I accidently posted this on the US board, and couldn't figure out how to erase it... Sorry for the double post!

We're not into clubs, just interesting restaurants/shops/places to explore. The outter islands seem way more our style than Nassau, from what I can tell...
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM

I don't think you would be happy on Eleuthera, there really is nothing there, and very few restaurants and you have to travel pretty far to get anywhere. If you want to find a beach all to yourselves for your vacation then Eleuthera would be perfect, but plan on doing alot of your own cooking.

Harbour Island has several nice restaurants, some cute shops, one of the best beaches in the world and some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

You might try these websites.
www.rockhousebahamas.com
www.romorabay.com
www.runawayhill.com
www.coralsands.com
www.islandoutpost.com
www.myharbourisland.com
www.briland.com

For Eleuthera
www.eleu.net
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I think we may reconsider and instead visit Eleuthera for a day or two...
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM

HARBOUR ISLAND IS MORE LAY BACK THAN ELEUTHERA, I HAVE BEEN TO BOTH A FEW TIMES. TAKE THE FERRY FROM ELEUTHERA TO NASSAU ON A DAY TRIP, THERES EVERYTHING YOU'D EVER WANT TO DO.
RICK
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM

You might do well to read caribtraveler's recent Eleuthra Trip Report here : http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=35048914

Jaunted also has a Harbour Island page you might want to take a look at :
http://www.jaunted.com/tag/Harbour%20Island

Anita who blogs under the name "pinknest" blogged her Harbour Island/Eleuthra trip report here : http://pinknest.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_archive.html. It's well documented with pictures so scroll down till you see the date : MAY 16, 2006. That's where the report starts. Her trip was May 8-14 2006.
Aug 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Eleuthera is very quiet. Lots of beaches to explore and some decent restaurants. HI is small (3 miles) with one beautiful beach. Definately more going on in terms of restaurants/hotels on HI. If you stay in N. Eleu, HI it will be convinient to visit but in my opinion N Eleu is VERY quiet. Gov Harbour or N Palmetto point are in Central Eleu and have better access to restaurants and many beaches. The drive to take the ferry to HI is about 1 1/2 hours from Central Eleu. The ferry ride is about 5 minutes.
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Somehow I had missed your post. As others have said, yes it's very easy to get to. And yes it's very very quiet on Eleuthera. Harbour Island might better suit your husband. Have a great time if you do go there. JaGirl, thank you for posting the link.