Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Daytrip to Exumas ? Day trip to Eleuthera?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Cathy

I am planning a trip to the Bahamas which will be about 4 or 5 days. I want to keep costs down. I was thinking about doing 2 days in Nassau, one day relaxing at the beach and one day doing a snorkel trip, and then do days on Eleuthera in the Harbor Island area.<BR><BR>Another possibility would be to make Nassau my base, spend the first two days as I stated above, but the next two I would do the powerboat excursion to the Exumas then another day, I would spend the day on Eleuthera as a day trip.<BR><BR>I would like to get some opinions. If you have done the powerboat trip to the Exumas, was it worth the money? Was the beach nice?<BR>How do the beaches in the exumas compare to Eleuthera (I know Eleuthera has pink sand beaches).<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:42 AM
colin

http://www.bahamasferries.com/<BR><BR><BR>http://www.romorabay.com/<BR><BR>http://www.myharbourisland.com/index.htm<BR><BR>why not try the above links.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Cathy

I tried to post a response, but something happened.<BR><BR>Colin, thank you for the information. The Romona Bay Club looks interesting, but I really was trying to decide whether I should go to Exumas, or could I find a beach as pretty or prettier on Eleuthera or New Providence. Also I wanted to get people's personal experiences to decide what is most important on such a short trip.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:55 PM
tweedy

Cathy for such a sort trip my best suggestion would be to choose one location and go from there. If you do 2 islands you are packing/unpacking/traveling more and vacationing less.<BR><BR>There is really no beach on Nassau as pretty as Harbour Island or Eleuthera. Paradise Island beach is one of the 10 most beautiful as per the Travel Channel, but I prefer the beaches of Eleuthera and Harbour Island, hands down.<BR><BR>Ok The Exumas are also beautiful, no pink beaches but stretchs of beautiful sand and very relaxing. Good snorkling there.<BR><BR>For a great trip though I would suggest Harbour Island and take a couple of snorkle trips with Valentine's which is a well known snorkle/dive shop on island.<BR><BR>You can fly into Nassau and take the ferry over or fly and just enjoy.<BR><BR>Another suggestion would be The Cove on Eleuthera, you can fly into Govenours Harbour.<BR><BR>There is much less to see and do on Eleuthera and you have to rent a car to get around and there are no nite spots and few restaurants, but lots of quiet spots to unwind.<BR><BR>I think it depends on what you are looking for in a trip. So I think you have to decide what you are most interested in and plan your trip around your interests.<BR><BR>Good luck and if you have any other questions on Harbour Island please let me know.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:28 PM
DTOUR

Don't waste your time with speedboat trip to Exuma Island its a complete tourist trap ripoff from the 80 mile an hour hell ride, to the rice and beans lunch.Take Bo Hengy(2.5 hr ferry)to Harbor Island and spend a couple of days there and you won't want to go back to Nassua.Its miles away from ordinary.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Cathy

Thank you so much for the information, Tweedy! I am an "anal rententive" person and start planning my vactions a year in advance, so I am looking at next summer. But I do this so I can start saving and because I enjoy planning trips as much as I take them.<BR><BR>Based on what you have said as well as what I have read elsewhere, I will definitely do at least two whole days in Eleuthera. <BR><BR>I am looking to unwind on a beautiful beach, listen to the surf, do lots of snorkeling. For the night time, if I have access to a TV and can catch up on CNN, I am happy. Although I hear there is a company that does a star gazing trip on Eleuthera. So Eleuthera sounds perfect.<BR><BR>I probably will not do the Exumas powerboat excursion on this trip because I have traveled by powerboat, feed stingrays in Grand Caymen, seen lots of iguanas in Curacao, etc. Plus I can do alot more with $185!! I have heard the snorkeling is not that good at the cays where they stop. For someone who has not been to Grand Caymen or elsewhere in the Caribben, I can see where this would be a novelty. Of course, between now and when I go, I might change my mind and check it out.<BR><BR>Thank you again Tweedy! I will be posting many more questions about Eleuthera.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:20 PM
dtour

Well if you do change your mind and decide to go on speed boat trip to Exuma Island you can prepare for boat ride by going on a mechenical horse(like yhe one in Urban Cowboy)and have someone throw buckets of salt water in your face at the same time.Do this for about 60 minutes and you'll be ready for your trip.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 02:00 AM
tweedy

I would doubt you will find a TV at any of the resorts on Eleuthera. I don't think I have seen one on Harbour Island as well, outside of some of the bars. lol.<BR><BR>I still would go with the one location and not move. You are only going to be there for a week, and you will be wasting time traveling.<BR><BR>If you want to do Nassau, then take the fast ferry over to Harbour Island for the day, or stay overnight on Nassau on your way to Eleuthera or Harbour Island. Just a thought, maximize your vacation time and minimize your travel time. Remember the Bahamas is on "Bahamas time" already so everything is slower and travel will take twice as long as you think it will.<BR><BR>Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Cathy

Hi dtour - the Exuma ride has become a very remote possibility. A sincere question - why do so many people rave about the trip? I checked out the message board at bahamas.com and saw very few negatives. Do they just not know any better or do you think since they shelled out so much money, they feel compelled to say it was great?<BR><BR>I believe you, dtour. Other than seeing some nice, pristine islands, I don't think its worth the effort. <BR><BR>Thanks again tweedy. There are a few places that have TV like Pink Sands and the Rainbow Inn. I stayed in bed and breakfasts in Europe and never missed TV because there was so much to do day and night. How do you entertain yourself at night on Eleuthera?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:23 PM
tweedy

At night there is nothing to do, so you have to entertain yourself on Eleuthera. Of course there are walks on the beach or a dinenr out. Mate&Jenny's in S. Palmetto Point is one of the only nite spots, and the owner Maitlin makes the BEST conch pizza.<BR><BR>Eleuthera is just for relaxing and not much else.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:07 PM
dtour

Trust me,the Exuma speedboat trip is a hustle.Exuma(for the brief time they give you there looked pretty nice.Maybe find another way to go there.As for on TV on Harbor Island,I personally try to disconnect my self from all the bullshit going on even if its just for a few days.I had a tvright in cottage at Pink Sands and refused to turn it on once.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Cathy

Did either of you rent a car while you were there? How much did it cost? Was driving on the left difficult?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 06:09 PM
dtour

Only went to Harbor Island were you only can get golf carts.Golf carts have cup holders to put your Kaliks in.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Cathy

Wow! Thank you so much Doug for the information. I am getting so excited about this trip!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:07 AM
tweedy

Cathy,<BR><BR>Eleuthera sounds good by Doug's description, but realize that to see much you are in a car all day long, since the island is so spread out. It's 110 miles long and from the N. Eleuthera airport to Govenours Harbour takes about 2 hours. YOu can't go much over 50 on "the road" and in the small communities the speed limit is 35, and there are speed bumps all over.<BR><BR>Again, I would suggest finding a central location and go from there. Car rental on Eleuthera is also $60 a day plus gas (gas is also expensive there). <BR><BR>Govenours Harbour to Rock Sound is about a 2 1/2 hour drive, so to see the island, literally you will driving all day.<BR><BR>If you want to see Eleuthera I would stay on island in the Govenours Harbour Area, and then rent a car and go from there.<BR><BR>Doug is right Eleuthera is very beautiful, but not overly tourist friendly just yet, not much to do, other than relax. Especially at night.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Tulips

Dear Cathy,<BR><BR>I would also recommend Harbour Island.....barnone. This Island is exquisite for a 4-5 day getaway. Remember the Islands move so slow that you may not be able to move as fast as you would liketo....when in Rome... Just check on Valentine's ..they have great trips but I believe they had a fire recently and may have destryoed the business. The Beaches are to die for!! As for TWEEDY how do you know so much...you sound like a regular!!..reply to me if you like

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:57 PM
tweedy

Cathy and Tulip:<BR><BR>I am a regular on Harbour Island and have stayed several times on Eleutehra over the years, so I know the area pretty well and am lucky to have lots of friends in the area as well.<BR><BR>The fire at Valentine's destroyed the dive shack, the reach (bar), docks and the water view restaurant. Most have been rebuilt already, except the bar (The Reach), and it is missed.<BR><BR>The dive operation is back up and running and has lots more to offer now, with the underwater sub.<BR><BR>I agree with the "time change", as things definately do NOT move anywhere as quickly there as in the states. Flights are often delayed, without reasons given, or your plane leaves without you, because it was full, so you have to wait for the next plane, lol. That's the Bahamas.<BR><BR>Cathy,<BR><BR>Trust us when we tell you pick one location and go from there, because we have been there and done that. I don't want to see you waisting precious vacation time just traveling.<BR><BR>So plan on a great vacation and have fun.<BR><BR>Also I would recommend you get a good book on the Bahamas so you have some ideas of what is available and just what you want to see and do.<BR><BR>Take care<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Karen

Hi Cathy:<BR><BR>In Feb 2001 I decided to do something different for my birthday. While walking thru the huge lobby of the Atlantis I stopped by one of the brochure racks and picked up one for a sea plane to Eleuthera.<BR><BR>It was a blast. I called the company and they picked me up at my Hotel (the Holiday Inn Sunspree) in the morning. I was taken to the airport in Nassau and dropped off right next to the Millionaire gate. I paid $270 in cash and boarded a cute little nine seater with leather seats and headphones. <BR><BR>I was on plane with a nice french family from Club Med. As we took off the feeling of adventure was running high. 20 minutes later we were circling over the pristine blue waters of Eleuthera. We landed in the water and a boat was there to pick us up. Once we docked we were given a map, a golf cart and the address of where lunch would be served.<BR><BR>I had a great time driving around the Island and waving and talking to the locals. Lunch was a cute tropical bakery and you ordered what you wanted and as much as you wanted (I even picked up some local jam in jars for the landlubbers I left back home). I then headed off to the designated hotel where I parked the cart and headed to the most beautiful beach. <BR><BR>I swam, snorkeled and went horsebackriding on the beach before I took a outdoor shower and raced back thru the streets to the dock! It was a wonderful experience and I wish I had took more time.<BR><BR>Have fun

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Cathy

Thank you all so much for the great advice. My planned trip looks like this now:<BR>2 days in Nassau as described from the beginning<BR>3 days in Eleuthera - I will probably stay on Harbor Island. I don't plan to go any farther than Gregory Town by road - most of my interests are in the northern part of the island and the reefs around Harbor Island and northern Eleuthera, since I love to snorkel.<BR><BR>I am looking forward to the Pineapple tarts! Karen, do you remember where you bought the jam? I love buying island spices, sauces, and jams in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>I have heard of a company called Bahama Out Island Adventures that does snorkel trips, cave exploring, night beach adventures, etc. That sounds interesting.<BR><BR>And of course, the fantastic beaches!<BR><BR>The more I hear about the Eleuthera, the more I see that there is actually lots to do on the island - the activities are more nature oriented as opposed to museums, shopping, etc. This is fine by me!<BR><BR>Please continue to post ideas. I love to read others ideas and comments - they have been extreamly helpful so far.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Arnie

If I had my choice. I'd forget Harbour Island and head for St. John, USVI. Harbour Island is not that picturesque except for it's 3 mile beach. Eleuthera seemed very desolate.<BR><BR>If you love snorkeling, I would suggest, St. John or one of the BVI's.<BR><BR>I think the people giving you advice on Eleuthera/Harbor Island have more than one interest.<BR><BR>Ask other people and I'm sure they will tell you it just can not compare to St. John or BVI's.<BR><BR>Just another opinion. You asked!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -