Resort choice - Barbados or Grand Cayman?

Mar 28th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Resort choice - Barbados or Grand Cayman?

Looking into a family vacation (daughters 21 and 18 yrs. old).......thoughts on the Almond Resorts in Barbados and St. Lucia, the Hilton in Barbados or the Marriott in Grand Cayman?
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM
anonxx

I've been to both Barbados and Grand Cayman, and my college age kids love Grand Cayman. They love the beaches, snorkeling, diving, etc., but also enjoy the shopping and excursions to StingRay City, etc too.

Mar 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

What about St. Thomas, St. John or Curacao? Have you been there? Any suggestions as to where to stay in Grand Cayman or these other places?
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Suggest you pick the island first, based on what kind of environment you want, then the resort.Barbados is easy to get around, has lovely people in a vibrant culture (formerly British). Lots of sightseeing (a cave, gorgeous tropical gardens, plantation houses, nature preserve, rum factory, museums, submarine ride), nitelife, wide variety of hotels, restaurants, beaches. Best hotels and hotel settings are on the calm water west coast. Almond Resorts are heavily promoted by tour operators, are pricey, but not very good. And Barbados is not an island to do A.I., with the wealth of restaurants, both hotel and independent. Hilton is not in a good location; it's a drab area near the city center. The only good American chain hotel is the Fairmont Royal Pavilion. Coral Reef Club is the class act on the island, family-owned for 50+ years, plantation-style, on gorgeous grounds at the edge of an underwater park. Colony Club next door shares a beach and has a string of pools. See www.barbados.org
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM
anonxx

Between St John, St Thomas, Barbados and Grand Cayman, I would still recommend Grand Cayman for 18 & 21 year olds. I haven't been to Curacao. If you go to Grand Cayman, get a beachfront condo. We like the east end (Reef Resort) best, but if you want more activity stay in a condo on 7MB. Check caymanvacations.com for detailed, accurate descriptions. Good luck choosing - it will be a great family vacation!

Mar 30th, 2007, 06:04 AM

I'd recommend Barbados for you and your daughters. Look for hotels in the St. Lawrence Gap area. I believe there's an Almond resort there. You will want to be within walking distance of the nightlife there. Grand Cayman can also be an option, but the Marriott is fairly far from the heart of the action, and the beach is better if you go up Seven Mile Beach (not that the Marriot is a bad hotel by any means).

The problem with St. Lucia, is that the resort is fairly family-oriented, which tends to draw smaller kids. Not enough for teens to do.

Luckily, both Barbados and Grand Cayman are safe enough that you can let your daughters go out on their own without worrying. So either island would do.
Mar 30th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Barbados would be my choice. IMHO, GC was more expensive than Barbados and more congested. Although to be fair, Bds does have it's fare share of congestion. Barbados is a much prettier island than GC with very different beaches and sites.

Peace
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM

I've been to Barbados, St Lucia, GC, STT, STJ and Curacao. We stayed on one of the executive floors of the Hilton in Barbados in February and I cannot say enough about it. We hated St. Lucia. GC had beautiful water and nice restaurants, but we wouldn't go back. STT has more to it than just the shopping in Charlotte Amalie, although if you like to shop, it's the place to be, STJ has it's faithful followers and we love Curacao. We rave the most about Barbados though. I would stay at the Hilton again and think your daughters would be very happy with this choice.
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM

Just got back from GC today - stayed on North Side but winds so wild (causing the waters to be rough), had to go to 7MB area to snorkel. Marriot has good snorkeling but.... I would not stay there for the beach. They rent chairs out to cruise people (and us). Went there 2 times and the beach was jam packed. Would not want to stay at a place and have the beach open to outsiders!