Rental Car or No? New Providence...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK.... so we impulsively bought airfare to NAS from MSP for 5 nights mid-feb.... weighed the pros and cons of out islands vs. staying on New Providence... researched affordable hotels... secured a room at Orange Hill for 5 nights and decided to stay put on New Providence for the 5 nights. Should we get a rental car? I've read in multiple locations that the jitneys (during the day) and taxis (evenings) are plentiful. Can you get anywhere you want to go on the island during the day on the jitney? It looks like we can get a rental car for about $250, which is probably what we'd spend on taxis and transport to and from the airport. Yes????

What do you think?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM

You will NOT need or even want a rental car. The Jitneys come all day long and taxis are readily available at night. The roads are already cloged with cars and taxis and honestly there is nowhere to park. Orange Hill, the jitneys stop right across the street and it is only 10 minutes or so to downtown. The jitney I think is only $1pp. If you are planning on staying downtown for dinner, take the jitney in the late afternoon, tour around downtown have dinner and take a taxi back.

Oh and I don't think I mentioned the BEST restaurant on island which is Greycliff. The only 5 star restaurant in the region. It is expensive, but worth every penny. The service, food and atmosphere are wonderful. My best recommendation is the lobster bisque, I wanted to lick the bowl, in fact I ordered TWO, lol.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

good to know. we'll plan on public transit/taxis and i will make a reservation for Greycliff. Outstanding advice, thank you.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM

I agree with travelbuff. Don't rent a car, and DO do Greycliff. Best restaurant ever. Check it out online before you go too. It has the largest wine cellar in the western hemisphere, and a large selection of cigars as well. Ask for a tour of the wine cellar after dinner. Consider doing a day trip via fast ferry to Harbor Island while there too. Enjoy!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM

ps-I've been there twice in February now. Note that it is cooler than you're probably expecting. I'd say low-mid 70's during the day, and bring a jacket for night. But hey it's still warmer than home, right! Oh, and bring dressier clothes for dinner at Greycliff-it's the most "formal" place I've been to in the islands. Check out Compass Point too for a meal-very cute brightly colored place, and it's about a 3 minute cab ride from the airport.