Reload this Page >

Recommend a Gulf Island

Search

Recommend a Gulf Island

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Barbara

Recommend a Gulf Island

Can anyone recommend a Gulf Island for a two day stay in early September? I will not have a car and am looking for inexpensive accomodations. I'm generally looking to explore, shop, maybe kayak, and relax...

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Michele

Without a car, I think that Salt Spring is your best bet. The Harbour House Hotel (www.saltspring.com/harbourhouse) is relatively inexpensive and right in the town (Ganges)to faciliate your explorations on foot. There is also taxi service. For more lodging options, try www.saltspring.com. Galiano Island also has cabs, but there isn't really a downtown area to explore -- it would take some long taxi rides to see all that's offered.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Cindy

I agree with the above recommendation, but I'm wondering if there's some way you could have access to a car during your stay. There's so much more to see on Saltspring if you can get around a little bit. If not - by all means, stay in/near Ganges, and if you can, try to go on a weekend so you can see the Saturday market. There's shopping, music, food, etc. etc. - mostly it's a lot of people having a great time. The problem without a car will be getting from the ferry dock to Ganges, although as has been mentioned, there are taxis. You'd likely have to call one, and then wait a bit for them to get there. But it's a wonderful place. Have a great time!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Barbara

Thank you! Maybe I will look into renting a car for the trip.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Lotus Eater

There are car rentals on Saltspring now-I just ran across this info last week.<BR>http://www.saltspring.com/rentals/budget.html<BR>http://www.ohwy.com/bc/h/hericare.htm<BR><BR>Take the smallest/cheapest model you can find-no need for anything but the most basic model.<BR><BR>Watch for deer on the road-they have right of way!