Recommending Room Choices

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommending Room Choices

Posters ofthis topic may want to think twice about recommending their favorite room locations.
As an example, at Caneel Bay, previously, the rooms on The Point, were listed and priced as Ocean View. Due to their increased popularity, which could have been from poster recommendations, , their category was changed to Premium Ocean View, and now are priced even more than Beach Front.

While we like to help readers, it would appear that management just takes advantage of the results.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Extrapolating data to suit yourself is why statistics has a bad name!

There might be reasons why certain rooms have gone up in price...popularity, renovation etc. You don't actually know the true reason but can I assume you're miffed and that you want to book an ocean view room but the price has increased?

Really are you suggesting posters stop giving ANY advice on this board because following your 'logic' many things could go up in price due to >>increased popularity which could have come from poster recommendations
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

I do not do Ocean View, but prefer Beachfront, so the price increase has not effected my choice; however, I do post advice, as I did with this, and it is my honest and well meant opinion. No need to read your subjectivity into my thoughts! It is possible to disagree, without being disagreeable.
I have been to Caneel often enough, ( 12 times) to know that no significant renovation to these rooms have been done, but management jumped these room two categories upward just to increase the price. Same rooms, but much more $$$$s. I just hate to see management misuse honest advice given by posters to line their pocketbooks with a form of what I consider, (honest opinion), price manipulation.

If you are fine with this, so be it, but I believe it is unfair to the people I know who love these rooms.
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:31 AM

I disagreed with how you came to your conclusion that Ocean view rooms had increased in price.

I'll state my view

Rooms on the Point have been requested more by guests and supply is now outstripped by demand so management decide to increase the price of these rooms. A sound business decision in my opinion.

I'm sorry that you took offense to my post but I was offended by your suggestion that posters think twice before offering recommendations. Basically advocating the death of a travel board!!
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

While I appreciate your views, I may be wrong, but because of your statement "Rooms on the Point have been requested more by guests and supply is now outstripped by demand so management decide to increase the price of these rooms. A sound business decision ..." it does seem to be thoughts of management. I am simply giving my views, one of a frequent long time guest.

I have friends, who also have had long time, frequent guests of Caneel. Each has there own private place that they consider to be their sanctuary, including Turtle Bay, Scott's, Hawksnest, Caneel Beach Ocean View, The Point, Little caneel Beach and even Premium Courtside Premium because of its roomiest. Each feels that there location is Best, and they are all correct because it is best for them.

To me it seems like management opportnism, because of posters' suggestions honestly given and taken, hence causing iincreased popularity in room locations the prices to increase. Management reaps the rewards, while return guests are penalized.

Again, from a guest's perspective, managemebnt would be wise and well advised to heed the concerns of guests, and realize the client loyalty makes for a strong business model.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Diane, you've just confused me now!
Apparently you prefer another room option and you have quite a few friends that also visit Caneel and they prefer a range of other accommodations.

So what was the point of your post?

Do I have this correct?
You noticed that The Point had increased it's prices and you were recommending that posters don't offer accommodation recommendations because you think that management take advantage of this 'popularity' based on reviews on a travel board.

In my view prices are more likely to be affected by supply and demand and reviews on travel boards might influence a small percentage of travellers and consequently a small percentage of the demand.

I clicked on your post because I wondered which rooms you were recommending (something I might be interested in) but was disappointed to find that you were suggesting posters DON'T recommend rooms!

For the record I've never been to USVI and I'm not involved in the management of any hotel or business.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM

I agree with sassy_cat that it's a simple case of the law of supply and demand. It's the way of the world.

I do hear your point about client loyalty. Many good hotels/resorts offer some sort of deal to returning guests, such as 10% off or whatever.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks tfromtx,
Whether through points or discounts many hotels offer loyalty programs and repeat guests often get emailed special offers too.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Readers can read my opinions and take it or not as they so choose. Your first reply to my post indicated that there may have been high grade renovations that warranted the increased pricing, and yet you have never been there. I was there just 5 months ago and knew better. I again refer to your quote, "Rooms on the Point have been requested more by guests and supply is now outstripped by demand so management decide to increase the price of these rooms.". How would you know this without being there or are a part of management?

You refer to 'supply and demand'. Caneel only had 40% occupancy my last visit. and this year is closing in September and October, for what I believe may be the same reason. Changing the category of a room is not the same as price increasing. Some long time repeat guests may shorten or even stop their visits because of this shortsighted, 'quick term gain. long term loss' practice. I, for one, having made two visits there in the past two years will not return this year.

You and I differ on the influence on travel decisions by these posts, but in fact, you or I really know.

While I will continue to post and give my opinions, it will not be about room choices, because I believe that it does increase the demand;hence the price.

This was meant to be a 'wake up call' to management to pay attention to their guests. Caneel is a beautiful place, and I would hate to see it fall the same route as the Four Seasons
just because of poor management decisions.

Caneel has a very loyal clientele some which have been returning for ten or twenty years
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Diane, so far I've merely made some educated guesses... partly based on the information YOU gave!

You've now told me that Caneel only had 40% occupancy on your last visit and previously you said they've categorized ocean view room as premium ocean view so increasing the price.

I put this information together and ONE possible reason could be that while the hotel was down to 40% occupancy overall the rooms at the Point were actually at full or near full capacity. The management decided if the business is to survive the recession they would need to charge more for these rooms to break even.

I'm sure you have more information that would invalidate my guess... you're the expert as I've never been there. I can merely 'do the math'!

You say your post was meant to be a 'wake up call' to management to pay attention to their guests???!
Call the hotel and let them know... it'll be far more effective than hoping they read and respond to a travel board.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sassycat. Management seems to give lip service only, like 'I will call you back' and then never do. I understand that it is part of their job to read these boards. It is my small attempt to get through to them. Because of the economic climate, tourism like so many other businesses are struggling and they need to begin thinking 'out of the box', and not continue to do the sameo, same o as when times were booming.

During my first visit in 1998, under different manaqgement, every guest was given a 25% discount off their bill because of the 'inconvenience' of having palm tree replacement. I was so impressed, I had been returnming ever since bringing and encouraging family and friends to go there as well. Believe me, that dicount was more than compensated by the amount gained over the years.

I lovew that place, and would hate to see it implode.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Diane, I get what you're saying. I found it odd as well that the rooms on the point are now more expensive then rooms on Scott. Demand has probably increased based on many poster's recommendations, because without them newbies most likely wouldn't request these rooms as beachfront "sounds" more attractive then rooms on Cottage Point.

Anyway, I have a question for travelers who have stayed on Turtle Bay-not looking for a recommendation-just a description of the upper rooms on Turtle Bay. Do they have cathedral ceilings and is the layout the same as lower? Do the palm trees block the ocean view/or is the view clear?

Thanks everyone