Search

Question about food..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about food..

I have been reading that food is very expensive. Can anyone give me some guidelines on some prices for a few items so I can get an idea of what to expect? For example: Gallon of milk, 2ltr pop, box of cereal? Also, my teenagers are into the quantity of food not quality where can we eat out cheap?
thanks!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:26 PM

Check out Robert's site
www.gotocayman.com
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:41 PM

I'd say whatever you pay at home double and a half it. I'm Canadian so it was worse. But it's vacation and you have to look at it like that.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM
pnestor

tdelano -

I had the saem question as you. See the replys to my post 'Eating out in Cayman' 3/17/04. The folks on this forum gave some great suggestions for cheap places to eat out and also a great web site that list the menus of many places to eat in Cayman. Check out www.caymanrestaurants.com

Paul

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 01:31 PM

The cheapest meal I had was at Rum Point- a jumbo hotdog, fries, and a soda- $10 u.s. There are places like pizza hut and KFC there that may offer cheaper prices than other restaurants. You can look into local places (I found a small Tortuga Rum Cake place in Grand Cayman that sold meat pies for about $1.75 and where quite tasty). I am not sure about grocery store prices exactly, but I would say expect to pay minimum at least 25% more than you usually do at home no matter where you go there-some times double. There are some cheap items too- I bought a can of soda at Foster's for 60cents and a bag of chips for 99cents. You can also bring in food from home if you are staying at a condo. Pack a suitcase of dry goods and snacks. That will help.
To eat out for less- try Eats diner for breakfast or lunch. Cimboco is a good bet- they have great pizzas and sandwiches at reasonable prices. Ye Old English Bakery (there are two in Georgetown) have great prices as well for baked goods and sandwiches. It will be hard to find a lunch and beverage for under $8-10 U.S. money.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:21 PM

You can bring frozen meat w/ you if coming from the U.S.
The prices aren't so bad, just expect to pay more. Try the lone star for all you can eat nights. They also have evenings that have happy hours w/ great prices on cocktails including munchies. Check out the cayman compass when you arrive. Of course they have fast food, maybe they would appreciate that as teenagers.