Eating out in Grand Cayman

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:13 AM
pnestor

Eating out in Grand Cayman

Hi!

I have read a few accounts of places to eat on cayman. Most of the posts talk of roughly $100+ for a dinner for two. I am aware that Cayman is EXPENSIVE but what I have to ask is this - can some recommend cheaper restaraunts to eat in? The menu doesn't (and probably won't) have to be anything special. Just to give us an option on a 10 day break to eat some where cheaper for say 4-5 out of the 10 nights out, to make the money strech a little further???

Thank you for any help!

Paul

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! Some of the cheaper restaurants in cayman are:

Cocount Joe's (my favorite "cheap" place) - across form the Marriott. This is a fun, casual place and the food is very good good.

The Treehouse - In Georgetown. We never made it here but our friends did and they said the view was great, food good and not too pricey.

Eats - Across from the Westin. More of an updated 50s diner but very good breakfasts and lunch...large portions and inexpensive.

But do splurge and go to The Reef Grill for dinner one night!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:00 AM

Also Champion House for local food and Tony Romas.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Have you booked lodging yet? We always stay in a condo cause then we just grocery shop for cheapies for breakfast and lunch, since its nice having a full kitchen. That way we can splurge on dinner.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM

How much dinner costs greatly depends on what you order as well as if you drink, get dessert, etc. Most of our meals were over $100 US, except for Mezza (very good) and the one time we went out for breakfast. (Eats which was excellent and cheap)

Also, always check the bill, because many restaurants include a 15% service charge.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Lone Star Bar and Grill in front if the Hyatt is reasonable

Also Chicken Chicken is a great place

Eats is very good

there is a good website
www.caymanrestaurants.com that list all the places to eat on the island and many have menus posted
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM

I definitely don't think you need to spend that kind of money for dinner in GC. We have been there the past four years and have found plenty of good, less expensive restaurants. If dinner out for you means drinks, appetizers, dinner and desserts - then maybe so - but if you have your drinks before you go and skip dessert, you can definitely have good meals out every night for much less.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM

My suggestion would be the deli section at the grocery store. Fosters at the Strand has a good selection - everything from fried chicken to stewed turtle and chicken curry. Cost is very reasonable. Eating on the beach is a pleasant way to enjoy dinner.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Someone mentioned renting a condo. That's what we did and the only meal we really splurged on was dinner. Everyday (except for the morning we had breakfast at Eats), we had toast or cereal, then if we hung around the condo, made sandwiches for lunch.

Our condo had Weber grills, so one night we cooked in. Fostors is a great supermarket and they have just about anything you'd need.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:26 AM
pnestor

Just retruned to read the posts.. Thank you all, very helpful.

Unfortunatley I haven't booked a Condo. Really would be the way to go! I am afraid to say where I am staying, as it has been much criticized, but it is at the marriott!! Just got a good fly and stay package there!

Thank you all again for your suggestions. Will print off this post and take it with me.

Paul

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 06:48 AM

The Edge is on the waterfront, is very casual, and has reasonably priced meals, however you'll need a car.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:04 AM

Paul, I just met someone the other day that was at GC the same time as us and stayed at the Marriot. Yes, the beach was small, but they were pretty satisfied with the hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
pnestor

Meta -

Thank you for taking the time to post about those folks that stayed at the Marriott - was very thoughtful and helps put our minds at ease and look forward to the vacation!!

Paul

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Caymannetnews.com had an article last week about replenishing 7MB between Royal Palms and Crescent Point to begin soon and take only a few months. Hopefully, the beach restoration will make a lot of visitors happy! Also, we ate at Chicken,Chicken and Eats for less expensive meals.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Try " crows nest", it's very casual but GREAT pepperpot soup and good seafood. The grilled dolphin sandwich with jerk mayo at Sunsets house "my Bar" is good for lunch and I think they have the best rum punch on the island. We really enjoyed the food at seaview too. The reef grill is the best so don't miss but, it is on the higher end price wise.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 12:34 PM

One other thing to be aware of - the menus will show cayman $ for the items but when we got our bill, they had always converted it to USD. A little sticker shock the first time. Try to cracked conch for at least one dinner - its a cab ride but excellent. We also went to Outback, the deli, Eats, etc with two teenaged boys - there was also an italian place they liked down the road from the westin in a shopping area. We bought the drinks, fruit, PBJ, bread, snacks etc and had them in the room to keep the wolves at bay.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:46 AM
pnestor

Ahhhh! What a great site this!!!! Thank you all!

P

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:08 AM
kat

One more recommendation: Cimboco's Cafe. They had very reasonable meals and good service. They have a website:
http://www.cimboco.com/location.html