Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

How to save $$$$ on Grand and Little Caymans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you share your ideas with me? I'll be staying in condos on both islands. Do you bring any food with you since everything is very expensive on Caymans?
What do you bring? What do you wish you brought with you? Thanks
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:29 AM
z

ttt
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:03 PM
z

Anyone?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM

The "Bringing of Food" is an often debated topic with many opinions.

Here is mine: Not worth it. Traveling thru different airports can at times be stressful enough, why add to that stress by lugging a bunch of extra food. Yes, prices are higher in GC, but what will you really save by bring food with you...maybe $30-50 for the week? If that's worth the hassle of extra baggage, go for it.

The best way to save money in GC is to not eat too many meals out, and if you do, pick the less expensive restaurants. Another way to save a ton of money down there is not go out for cocktails as the bars down there will kill ya on drink prices. We bring a bottle of vodka with us to help save a few $$.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM

I planned out the meals we would have before I left so that I could bring along any spices we would need. I also brought olive oil, and skewers (for kabobs) our favorite muffin mix, muffin papers - just things I thought might be hard to find.

The steaks we bought at Fosters were great. Bought some roasted chicken at Chicken Chicken (I believe) and took it back to the condo. Ate all of our breakfasts and lunches at the condo.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:59 AM

My family has been to both islands and we pack a box of non-perishable items. My kids are 18, 15 and 5. I pack as many snacks (pop tarts, granola bars, pringles etc.), cereals, coffee cakes, dish washer detergent (the small little capsule types), and a little bottle of liquid soap, clothes detergent (again small drop in tablets), whatever else I can think of for dinners and lunches (noodles, spices, single serve mac and cheese, pancake mix, etc. Its not a huge box but every little bit helps.

Little Cayman has the store there which in my opinion was very well stocked. I was told before we went it wasn't stocked very well, but I was very surprised.

We go to Fosters for all the other foods that we need on Grand Cayman.

As far as resturants we did Chicken Chicken too. It was good. Lone Star wasn't that much more then in the states for dinner too. We did some of the expensive resturants too and my family would rather do the pizza, Chicken Chicken, Aqua Bay Bar, Hard Rock instead.

As far as the airport, don't seal the box until they inspect it. Then we bring a roll of duct tape with us and tape it up right there and then put the tape in our luggage. We alway bring our luggage carrier with us and the box is put on that with the luggage. Its not as big of a deal as what people make it out to be. As long as you use the box as one of your pieces of luggage and its under the weight alottment your fine. We have been to many islands and I have never had a problem.

When are you going and where are you staying? We leave in two months, can't wait!!!